TTC while Breastfeeding?

Is anyone TTC while breastfeeding? Do you think you have to wean?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• It depends on how soon you want to get pregnant and how regularly you're ovulating (if at all). The best thing to do is chart your cycles (read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler and check out FertilityFriend.com for helpful info and tips), so you'll know where you stand -- whether you're ovulating, how frequently you're ovulating, how long your luteal phase is.

I've been charting the entire 15 months I've been breastfeeding, and it would have been impossible for me to get pregnant before my baby was 13 months old. I had fairly regular periods, but my ovulation was sporadic, and when I did ovulate my luteal phase was too short to sustain a pregnancy. Charting is the only way to know whether pregnancy is possible in your specific situation.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Because the cycle of ovulation is sporadic when breastfeeding, you may have a harder time TTC since you may not know when you are ovulating (unless you check temp and such)... YOu do not have to wean to TTC
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You don't have to wean but most people do because it helps the woman's body restart her cycle sooner.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• The problem is I have a mirena in and have not had a period for 9.5 months.
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I conceived two of my four kids while breastfeeding and breastfed well into those pregnancies. (22 weeks once and 16 weeks another). It can be done if your periods are regular. My cycles returned within 8 weeks of delivery each time - even though I was exclusively breastfeeding I didn't get a break!!! :)
    ginger-mart

Answer by ginger-mart at 5:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2010