Should I get my IUD out now or wait?

So here is the deal: prior to having my first son I had a mirena IUD in for 4.5 years. During those 4.5 years I never had a period. I got the IUD taken out and the doc said I wouldn't be fertile until I had a period. I found out I was pregnant very soon afterward (which the symptoms I thought were my first period). They put me at getting pregnant 9 days after IUD removal with no period first.
I had a new mirena IUD put in when my son was six weeks. I have not had a period and I am breastfeeding as well. Our son turns 1 september 25th and we wanted to get the IUD out end of september or early october.
The doctor said breastfeeding can make it hard to concieve and just because it will be after I had an IUD that it could be hard to concieve. I have not had a period in almost 6 years so I can't track those...and I don't know about the breastfeeding.....
So I guess I am wondering should I take it out now....but then I am lik

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Are you hoping to have another child soon? ( I assume that is why you want to take your IUD out in Sept/Oct. If so, you can take it out, track your ovulation and use other protection until you're ready to concieve.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would wait until you are done BF, but that just what i would do. Must be nice never having your period...lol, i have mirena & still have my period although they are super duper light.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2010