Why do my plants die ? :(

i usually buy those small packages of plants from walmart or home depot. the ones which include the pots, seeds and packaged soil/mud. they grow really good the first 2 weeks, but then they just wilt away. i follow the instructions exactly, keeping the soil moist and keeping it near a window after they grow. ive tried EVERYTHING, keeping them in/out/away from sunlight. even on my balcony. but they dont seem to stay alive for a long period of time. im usually buying seasonal flower seeds, cilantro, mint, oregano and parsley seeds. can anyone tell me where am i going wrong? also i live in an apartment so i dont have backyard or flower beds...pots are my only options. please help !!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• the soil that comes with those packets suck ass. It's OK to sprout your seedlings in them, but once your seeds sprout, you really need to put them in a larger pot with some good soil that contains manure, or worm castings. You can use miracle grow, but word of advice when using it: Miracle grow will deplete the soil of it's natural vitamins, so once the plant sucks up all the nutrients from the MG, it is left with no natural nutrients & they can die. Once you start using MG, you have to keep using it to keep your plants alive. It's like a drug addiction for plants. It's so much better to use organic stuff like manure & worm castings.

Also, if your plants are too crowded in one pot, they will fight for nutrition & the stronger plant will actually kill the others by steeling all the nutrients. So, it's good to separate the spouts & put them in separate pots so that they will not be fighting for space & nutrition.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Sounds like your soil isn't fertile enought,, try some Miracle grow plant food,, it works just don't over do it!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• make sure you arent over-watering! Some herbs are very sensitive to the weather. If it's hot and humid dont take them outside. if they are inside, make sure they arent too close to an air vent!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• yes also try some miracle grow!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I know when I start from seeds, they usually only get so big in the little planters or seedling pots and I have to transfer them to larger pots or plant them in the ground. My veggies did that this year and when I actually went to plant them in the ground with some good top soil they SHOT OFF! They seriously doubled everyday...it was insane!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think you are Over Watering. That will kill plants faster than no water at all. Outside plants only need water when the soil gets dry. Especially herbs. They need very little water. Only water when the soil looks dry. If you have saucers under them, then only water when the soil is dry and there is no water in the saucer. Inside plants only need to be watered once a week, when the saucer has no water. Be careful with Miracle Grow, use as directed or it will burn your plants. I only use it occasionally outside & I never use it for indoor plants. Some I have had for 17 years. Good Luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would not buy the kits. Wait until spring when the garden centers have plants. buy them and pot them in Miracle Grow potting soil, keep the soil moist but not wet. Good luck
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010