How do I get my baby back to sleep?

My 5 1/2 month old has been sleeping through the night since he was 11 weeks. he recently had a double ear infection and woke up several times a night, now he is better and is still waking up. dr. said nothing is wrong with him. I try to let hom cry it out and he gets so upset and uncontrollable he is not a self soother. So I get up and give him his paci about 4 times a night now. Any suggestions!!!!!

jeremysmama7

Asked by jeremysmama7 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rocking, singing, reading a book. My 9.5 month old comes into the bed with me sometimes but that might not be for eveyrone. Good luck.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Maybe rock him back to sleep or just snuggle with him until he falls back asleep.
    Kissybratzmom

Answer by Kissybratzmom at 10:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• He goes right back to sleep a few min. after i give him the paci but what do I do to not have to get up 4 times a night? If I let him cry he is up for a longer period of time with me trying to calm him down and get back to sleep.
    jeremysmama7

Comment by jeremysmama7 (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You were exceedingly fortunate. The vast majority of babies wake at night. Consider yourself also lucky that all you have to do is give a pacifier and he goes right back to sleep. It's not broken so don't fix it! Most parents feed, change, rock and cuddle their babies at night. oR they get up for SOME reason or another whether that be for illness, teething, growth spurts, major milestones, or what have you.

Parenting doesn't end at sundown, KWIM? Parenting is 24 hours a day. You just aren't used to it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It is very common for a baby to sleep through the night at one age, and then wake during the night at an older age. It is not like walking where once they can do it, they do it all the time. Expect to be doing some kind of night time parenting for the first couple of years.

It sounds to me like you have a little guy who needs his mom during the night. What do you do? You keep getting up in the night to take care of him until he doesn't need you to any more.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2010