Should other governments intervene to save this woman?

Campaign group Human Rights Watch has called on Iran to stop the execution of a woman convicted of adultery.

The group says Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, a mother of two, faces imminent death by stoning after her appeals for clemency were denied.

Under Iran's strict interpretation of Islamic law, sex before marriage is punishable by hundred lashes, but married offenders are sentenced to death by stoning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10545062

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is another country's laws. It does suck but if the people don't like it than they should change it! They are animals!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:29 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yes. In a way it's none of our business, but these stonings are so incredibly brutal, I can't see how someone can't try to intervene. Omg, it's so horrible that it turns my stomach. There's a lot to this situation, so everyone saying, "she knew what she was doing, she should expect it", you're wrong. Their entire "government" is so twisted and corrupt, that fairness has nothing to do with it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:00 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It is horrible...it is a twisted religion that would accuse a WIDOW of adulery and even more twisted that they would want to stone her to death. But...no matter how we civilized people feel, we won't be able to change their mond. There is not much we can do. I am just horrifiedi
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• This makes me sick with sadness. This has happened many times and I do not think other governments can intervene, can they? It is another country's laws.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I don't have a answer, but there is nothing saying that she actually committed the acts that she is accused of.
    false accusations happen all the time, and in a place where rights are limited when you are accused, the accused would have a worse time.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Interviene...no, speak loud YES!!!!! They need to hear how the world is disgusted in their behavior! I definitely think that other countries should voice their opinion!!!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:04 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It is utterly barbaric to condemn a woman for the crime of adultery while the man is nowhere to be found. He should be standing beside her receiving the same sentence.

That said, death is a cruel punishment for adultery. And death by stoning is beyond barbaric.

What can we do? Raise our voices loudly to condemn this action and those involved in it. And never let this autrocity of a "religion" grow roots here.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think it's fine for us to voice opinions about it and any other bad policy other countries have but thats it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Sorry operator error. Anyway, the man she allegedly adultered with is no where to be found. It is a barbaric, stomach churning, crock of shit. That being said, all america can do is publicly express our outrage. The awesome thing is that combined with the outcry of other nations, it is possible to help this woman because this has mightly embarassed the iranian gov't.
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 11:43 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• xxlil, and how do you know she did ANYTHING wrong? do you know when women are RAPED there it's called adultery?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010