How did your child do at the dentist for the first time?

My son FREAKS out at the dentist. I mean it's bad. He has two cavities, and He must go, he needs to. He screams and cries if I just mention it!!! I just do not know what to do...

roxy1984

Asked by roxy1984 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She did very very well.. but they didn't anything other than look.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:07 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• She did great until they tried to gas her up for a filling
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:11 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• The oldest was fine. The younger didn't cooperate at all. He might have if I could have stayed with him, but they liked to take the child without mom. He missed out on getting a toy out of the toy chest too, only well-behaved children were allowed to get a toy. I felt sad about that, but that was their rule.

Answer by Bmat at 11:11 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I took both my boys at the same time. It went pretty good. My oldest who is 5 did great. She had builded in TVs in the ceiling and headphones watch 'ROBOTS' during the whole visit. He didn't mind it at all. Now my three year old is a different story. 10 mins in the cleaning he didn't even notice it because he was watching the movie, I guess it was the sound of the spin brush that got his attention and everything went down hill from there. But he was fine afterward. He made more noise than making tears. He got new toothbrush a balloon and a cool sticker! It was a great visit over all.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 11:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My DD is two and has only ever been once, but she did just fine! She went into an exam room (it is a ped. dentistry office, so in the room we were in there were just two chairs and a bench, no exam chair). The dentist had daddy hold her facing him, she laid back so her head was in the dentists lap, then the dentist sang songs while she brushed, flosed and looked at DD's teeth. And that was it, no problems.

I think making it fun and comfortable for your son will help. Hopefully.. Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It was helpful that my younger kids watched my older kids go.
    I held their hands and told them to think about the prize they wanted to pick out when they were done.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 11:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My son was 2 when we brought him for the first time and it was just a regular check up and cleaning. He did very well.
    Proud_Muslimah

Answer by Proud_Muslimah at 11:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Both of mine were 2 the first time. They were wary the first few times, but aren't scare anymore. My oldest loves the dentist and asks to go more often than every 6 months. I take them to a pediatric dentist, and I think that helps.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My daughter is 3 and went recently for the first time. We made the appointment and read her a book daily about going to the dentist so she knew what to expect. She did amazing and not one tear.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• oddly, GREAT the first time, and freaked out the second time. kids, eh? the surprises never end. I thought for sure since he was not scared the first time it would be smooth sailing from then on out. I held his hand and talked him through it, and now he's great about it again.

DON'T let the dentist tell you you can't be with them, go to another dentist if necessary. ours is great and encourages parents to be there for their kids.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010