How can I teach my almost 3 year old not to pee at night?

My son will be 3 in 2 weeks and he's potty trained during day time. However he still pees a lot at night, he pees so much, his diaper leaks every night! We have been cutting back on drinks in the evenings, but that doesn't seem to help, he seems to pee gallons overnight! What can I do to get him out of that habbit?

Proud_Muslimah

Asked by Proud_Muslimah at 11:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is nothing you can do. His bladder has to mature. And it can take years. It's good to limit drinks before bed, but that is not going to stop it. Just put a rubber sheet on to protect the mattress and keep him in pull ups at night.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:51 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Nothing you can do really. It all depends on their bladder.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• and also wake him up when you go to bed and take him to the potty... we do this with DS (2) and he stays dry most nights... also we dont have any drinks after 7:30 (dinner time)
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have to agree he has to learn to hold it or wake up and go and that may take some time.
    Waking him up before you go to bed will help and if you wake up your self to go get him up then also.
    When my son was 2-3 we would get him up stand him at the potty and say go potty. He would and most of the time never really woke up. We then put him back in bed and it was like he didn't even know he was up. I had a new born at the same time so I was up and down a lot at night.
    He soon stopped wetting the bed. We would not let him have any thing to drink for 2 hour before bed time and that helped a lot.
    Plus he did not like being wet.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It's a development thing, his bladder needs to mature first. After that he will need to learn how to hold it, you can't rush these things.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Nothing. Just limit drinks 2 hours before bed, make sure he pees before bed. But it is a maturity thing. My son actually had the night time thing down pretty quickly. All kids are different though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2010