About child support....

When a man (or woman) gets re-married, is the new spouses income ever considered into the formula they use to decide child support? I know no one can take money from the new spouse, but do they factor in that the other parent now has and added income?

nappeal

Asked by nappeal at 11:31 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends on the situation. When i finalized my divorce and got CS ordered on XH, I was living with my fiance (we married 9 days after my divorce was final). Since I am a SAHM, and our only income is what DH makes, the lawyer took the total bills, divided it in half, the total income and divided that in half, and that gave him "My debt/income ratio"
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Oh my why involved his money that's between U and your X.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:37 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Actually in California, that's wrong. Example. A Guy is paying child support, he gets married, his new spouses income IS a factor in how much child support is paid out. My aunt lives in California and one of the reason she and her now husband didn't get married for so long was because her income would be used in factoring how much child support he would have to pay.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• OK, I was just saying how it was figured for my CS here in SC. Sorry.. :)
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I was told by our attorney that the spouses income is never factored into child support. It is between dad and mom only.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• They take into account my husband's income because I'm a SAHM and have none - so they factor in a % of his income as "mine"

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Before I married my husband he called his attourney to make sure that my income would not be factored into child support. The attorney confirmed that step-parents have no financial responsiblity for the child other than to make sure they are safe, fed and sheltered.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 10:25 AM on Jul. 16, 2010