Muslim group asks public schools in Britain to rearrange routine.

Muslim council is requesting schools do not hold swimming lessons, sexual education classes, or exams during the month of Ramadan so Muslim students are not disadvantaged by drinking water (breaking fast), thinking impure thoughts, or being tired.

Do you think these are reasonable accomodations?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10596808

Bezu

Asked by Bezu at 11:42 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not think those are reasonable requests for a PUBLIC school to have to adhere to!!! Seriously, why don't the Muslims in Britain build their OWN private or charter equivalent school that abides by THEIR doctrines?! This is the original premise for creation of PRIVATE Catholic and Hebrew schools/academies in the United States!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• They can request all they want. However, if you attend a given school shouldn't it be the other way around. You need to abide by the rules of the school otherwise why are you attending in the first place. There isn't a school out there that is going to make special arrangements since they need to teach their ciriculum in a given time period in order to prepare students from one year to the next. And as far as I know swimming lessons at given grade levels has always been mandatory.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I don't have an issues with it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:42 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Depends on how many people it effects and how hard it is to rearrange the schedule. I don't really care when my kids have sex-ed, or swimming lessons so I'm flexible and not bothered by it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No, they are unreasonable requests in my opinion. Great Britain supports a similar Separation of Church and State clause (not named that, can't remember, being lazy) and that goes against it. IF the Muslim community truly feels that strongly about it, they may want to either - opt for a home school option for that month, or attend private schools, or remove their children from those classes.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Public schools honor Christian holidays.

Not true. Yes we have holiday break over Christmas, but it is called Winter break. They do not provide days off for Good Friday, Easter, All Saints Day, Ash Wednesday, etc.

New Years, MLK, Presidents, Thanksgiving, Veterans, Columbus, are all Secular Government Recognized holidays.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• The schools won't be having exams at the beginning of the year anyway. We also never had sex ed that early in the year, they tend to allow some time for a class to get comfortable with each other talking about less touchy subjects before hitting sex ed. Swimming didn't happen in August or September either, we had outdoor sports then and kept the indoor stuff like swimming for winter when the weather was too yucky to be outside for sports. This is a total non-issue.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• ALL public schools?!? Um, no. That's ridiculous. They are trying to control the schools over there now.

What sort of exams? Any sort, like end-of-unit exams? That would throw teachers' lesson plans completely awry. Or only major exams, like semester exams? What about projects that count as exam grades?

I think this is too much.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It's called: Plea for Liberty of Conscience.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think that the Muslim students should be excused from those activities and able to make them up at a later time, but it's wrong to expect an entire school to mind one religions schedule. If they are going to do that, they need to give everyone off for pagan holidays, serve kosher food during passover, etc, etc, etc.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2010