MRSA exposure

Last week my family and I (incl. a 6 month old baby and 4 year old) went on vacation with my parents, brother and his family. 2 days in my father, who is old and in bad health, found an infection on his leg. The hospital took tissue samples for testing but would not have results for a week, so my father returned to the beach house and continued to interact with the kids. A week later--today--we found out that his infection was MRSA. Since that time both of my children have been in daycare situations. Do I need to pull them out? Is there a conclusive test to determine if my kids are carriers? I've put in a call to their pediatrician but I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this?
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I believe there is a test. Unless the kids had direct contact with the infected skin, I don't see how they could have contacted it. Was it also found in his sputum? If not, I believe it to be okay. I would definitely let their Dr. know though in case there is tests that can be done. In the hospital, we were in and out of rooms all day, only to come back five minutes later to find the patient in isolation. Sigh.. Not much that can be done that way.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• from what I know of MRSA infections, is they're pretty brutal...and the pathogen that causes the infection, never really "goes away". so in other words, they can break out in infection, at any random time.
    I would at least notify the daycare. at keep a close eye on your kids.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Hello There! I currently have been in contact with MRSA as well. I was taking care of my father who has diabetes and he had a wound on his heel. I was the one who changed the dressing and made sure it was taken care of. After about 2 weeks we realized it wasn't gettin any better. I took him to the hospital to be seen for this heel and they said he has MRSA. My father ended up losing his left leg due to the infection. However.. at the time I didn't know I was pregnant when I was taking care of him. I informed my doctor on what happend and he told me that I would be fine as long as I didn't have an open sores on my hands while taking care of my dad's heel. So I believe you have to have direct contact with the wound and have an open sore that touches it. I hope this helps you!!
    HoughLeachFam

Answer by HoughLeachFam at 11:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't think you need to pull them out of school. Shoes in the sun can't hurt. I remember that people with normal immune systems will fight off even the MRSA~our bodies don't know our clinical trouble with that microbe...it is on our skin a lot I believe, we just can handle it~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:57 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Thanks for these speedy and informed responses! My kids did not have contact with the wound (its on my Dad's upper thigh, which was always covered by his shorts). I'm just concerned that my Mom (who changed his bandages) and my Dad were not as dilligent about handwashing as they could be (since we didn't know the wound was MRSA). Still waiting to hear from the Doc, but this has eased my mind a bit..
    tiredmomma33

Answer by tiredmomma33 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• If they did not have direct contact with the open wound, it's very likely they were not colonized. The doc can do surveillance culture (nose, throat, skin) to see if they are carriers. I doubt it will go that far. Wash only clothing in hot water. I think the kids are fine for daycare, but I'm sure the MD will give you all the specifics.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010