Do you give your kids allowance, if so at what age did you start?

Cassandre

Asked by Cassandre at 11:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• We don't give an allowance, I go with the philosophy that we will all live in the same house and we're all responsbile to take care of it as a family. We do however give them money here or there when they need it...but only if chores are done and I feel what they are asking to use the money for is appropriate.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We don't do allowances here. I tried it a little and they didn't care about the money so they wouldn't do the chores. So my philosophy is it's your house to and you need to help the family take care of it.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I give my 4 year-old a dollar a week plus all the change we have around the house. I also have a secret college fund I put $100 a month in. I started the college fund at birth and started giving her money at around 2.5 years when she started to ask for me to buy things for her.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:55 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We started at age 3. He got $1 a week. He's almost 5 now and he gets $2 a week, $1 just because and $1 which is dependent on him actually cleaning his bedroom each week. It's a great way to teach kids the value of money and it cuts back on whining dramatically. Whenever he asks for something in the store I just ask if he wants to use his money to pay for it. If he wants enough and he has the cash he'll buy it. If he doesn't he won't.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I didn't get an allowance growing up and I'm still trying to figure out if I'll give my daughter one. But I agree with "Cindy18" about it's their house too and should help take care of it.
    Cassandre

Comment by Cassandre (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We don't really do an allowance...because I believe they should help out because they are part of the family. There are certain jobs, that they get paid for though.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• DD will be 3 in October and we're thinking of doing $1-2 a week soon. She's starting to understand math and calendars. I think getting money at a certain time every week will help. Math, prioritizing, timing, saving, etc. Idk if I wanna teach her that the money is for chores though. As of now, her only "chores" are cleaning up after herself which I don't think should be "rewarded" just like I don't deserve a reward for wiping my own butt. So I think it'll be a real allowance for a while then earnings later.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2010