Bring Down A Fever?

I'm given them Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen in 4 hours intervals. example 6 am: Ibuprofen 10 am: Acetaminophen 2 pm: Ibuprofen. I've given them a lukewarm bath. I'm just now monitoring their temptures, etc and will call the doctor as soon as I feel I need too. However I feel that there is something else I can be doing to help bring down their fevers, but I'm drawing a blank.

Perhaps it's everything, perhaps I'm just a bit more nervous about it seeing it's summer, it's 92 here, and we don't have AC. I KNOW when to call the doctor and will as soon as it gets to that point, in the mean time I just want to be sure I'm doing everything I can to help control, bring down their fevers.

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Keep applying a cold washcloth to them. Leave it on their foreheads. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Lots of fluids and room temp baths. How old are the kids? Really push the fluid, and dress them in lightweight, color clothing in light colors.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Also have them drink ice water.
    mompam

• They have these things at Wal-mart..they are fever patches--non medicated. They always take my kids' fevers down.. Its just a patch with gel on it..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• what their organs! Ibuprofen is taxing to the kidneys and tylenol to the liver...and I was told that it is best to stick with the Ibuprofen with a high fever~the by product of the motrin and the by product of the tylenol both in the system at the same in is especially taxing to the liver...or stick with one kind of med all day, switching to the other the next day.

Lots of water..."a pot on a stove boils quickly with little water"~

for me the worse thing might be a febril seizure to watch for~I'd have eyes and ears on them at all times until they improve~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'm not worried about the interval of ibuprofen and acetaminophen I'm given them. I've been advice by my doctor that doing what I'm doing is just fine. (Not today, but in the passed times; he assured me doing that when they have high fevers is fine short term). Of course anyone and everyone should always consult their doctor when administering medication to their children or anyone. It sounds of if I'm really doing everything I can at this point. Of course I would take them to th doctor the moment it becomes something worst or if I can't get their fevers down with home treatment. SupperrMommyy, thanks for suggesting the fever patches. I've never used them. Running to the store is not an option right at this minute but it might be something to keep in mind for the future.
    SAHMinIL2

Comment by SAHMinIL2 (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2010