How do companies that claim Identity Theft Protection get the job done?

How do they do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Pretty much they suck. All of them. You remember the commercials for LifeLock where the CEO posted his SSN and challenged someone to steal his identity? Well, it took about 3 days before someone did it. LifeLock places fraud alerts on your credit report, but these offer little protection as retailers can easily ignore them. The remove your name from prescreened credit offers, which you can do yourself for free. They order your free annual credit report for you. They keep a list of companies you have credit cards with, so you can contact them easily in case your wallet is stolen. Something else you can do yourself.
    Experian doesn't even allow lifelock to place fraud alerts on their credit reports anymore, because they were abusing it and placing fraud alerts on every one of their customers reports, rather then just those who could be in danger of ID theft.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:27 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• It depends on the company. The one that I worked with Monitored your SSN, drivers license number, legal name and some other identifying information. Then when these things were accessed YOU were contacted, and the activity was double checked. IF you did not allow the access or did not do anything that would have used that information an investigation was started and the parties involved were all contacted. If it was needed police and authorities were all contacted and action was taken to stop your identity from being used... Any changes which may have been made were corrected and stopped as well.

We also monitored your credit scores and reports for similar things.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We use Life Lock and they are amazing. We recently moved across the country, and needed to use our card for many, many purchases, meals, travel, car rental, hotels, appliances- I do not know how many times we received calls during those few weeks.really "Did you buy a new bed, new washer and dryer and refrigerator at 3 different stores within 2 hours..." My husband, YES, please do not lock my card.

I do not how the task is accomplished, but I do know that it's efficient. They have also detected fraudulent use- no harm, no foul.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010