Has your child ever been diagnosed with PICA?

I have 2 children an I have been told that both of them have PICA Disorder... I have been dealing with it for the last 4 yrs with my son an for a yr with my daughter... I have done so much research but I would like to see wat others have done to help there child with this problem....

PawBecca

Asked by PawBecca at 4:52 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Kids' Health

• What sorts of things are your children ingesting? Any other diagnoses like ADHD or autism? My son was never diagnosed with PICA but one of the odd behaviors I noticed years ago was how he would gnaw on plastic (bottle caps, pencil caps, etc.) and chewing them like they were gum. It was extreme . . . he looked and acted like a drug addict looking for a fix . . . it was obvious he was "craving" something and looking to feed some underlying need. When we started biomed therapy to treat his ADHD, he stopped the behavior as soon as he started vitamin supplementation. Even now, if he starts the behavior again, I know it's time to have him evaluated again and sure enough, the behavior stops once his vitamin regimen is tweaked and corrected to accommodate his growing needs.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My children ingest things like paper, cotton. wood. plastic, rubber, clothing... My ds has even tried to eat laundry soap, bar soap... there is so much... My ds was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 3... He use to be on meds for it but they say he is CURED now so they took him off of it in January... They had both my kids on Vitamins but that has not seemed to work... This behavior has not yet stopped at all... I am constantly taking things out of there mouth... There teachers have even started to complain about there behaviors.... Thanxs for ur answer....
    PawBecca

Answer by PawBecca at 6:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008