Need help! Sister has eating disorder.

My sister is 24 and has been bulimic/anorexic since she was 17. She was offered help when we found out when she was 19 but refused. It has gotten so bad and I want to get her some help. She has a son who is about to be 1 in August and I am afraid of my nephew learning this crap or even worse, watching his mom kill herself. I am looking for advice from people who have loved ones that have gone through this or gone through this themselves and can offer some help about how I can help my sister. Thanks.

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Health

• I was anorexic at 17 as well but I got help when they threatened to put me in a hospital. Even though I am at a healthy weight now I will tell you that it will change your life forever and it is a struggle to not get back into that mode. She should talk to a counselor and a dietician. I went through a few counselors until I found the right fit.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• The problem is, I need some advice on how to get her to go to get help.
    hornz102485

Comment by hornz102485 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You could try a family intervention. Talk to her about the effects it will have on her son, most moms will do anything for their children, including getting help. Tell her she could have heart failure among many other organ issues and that could end in her not getting to watch her child grow up. A friend of mine finally got help after her dr. told her she couldn't have kids if she didn't gain weight. You just have to find her motivation and keep giving her info on what anorexia does to you. Being sick and leaving her child without a mother.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• wonder if you can write Dr. Phil? I don't have a family member experience, but i knew someone who is normal weight now after being like your sisters with twins. you want your sister to have a long life with many life stages, she has got to deal with this in a serious way as an adult with shit to work on.

Since when does she feel like she can just be under developed after so long~we all have to do the hard stuff and her time needs to happen before she wastes her heart and brain away for a psych issue~get some new skills for deal with food, morphing body shape and control~grow yourself!

Someone needs to adopt your sister on and coach her through this~our best years are coming still!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2010