Could pregnancy cause depression during the actual pregnancy?

Hi, I'm 24 weeks pregnant and I've never really had a problem with depression, but recently have felt like maybe I'm depressed. My husband and I moved 2 hours away from the town I grew up in the week I found out I was pregnant, and ever since living up here it's like I can't do things the same. I used to do really well at keeping my house clean and making dinner everyday, but now it's like I can't get myself to do anything. I don't have a job and I don't know anyone up here, so I should have no reason for not keeping a clean house. I also used to make menus every week and grocery shop once a week or even every 2 weeks. Is it possible that being pregnant has made me depressed?

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's probably not the pregnancy but instead the big move and all the other changes that have happened in your life. One of the best cures for depression is to get your mind off yourself and onto someone else. Look around you for a neighbor who is lonely, could be an older person who is full of wisdom and who would be a great friend to you in the end. Get involved with some of the local people--church is a really good place to meet young moms and moms to be. Go to a local park and just sit on a bench, talking with the moms who bring their young children there. Plan a special meal for your husband and clean up the house for it. Having a motivation for doing something is always a good thing. You could even invite one of your new found friends for dinner. Take a walk through your neighborhood, looking for people with whom you may have a lot in common. There are lonely people everywhere, just waiting for a friend.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Maybe not depression but certainly messed with your emotions. I think our hormones just go crazy when we are pregnant and little things can affect us in big ways. I thought I was depressed when I was pregnant, I had alot of stress on me during my most recent pregnancie, sometimes I just shut down like you, I didn't feel like doing anything. I think during pregnancy it can be normal. Han in there momma, you are more than half way done, it will be all worth it when your LO is here. congrats on the pregnancy!

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• According to the March of Dimes...

"Depression During Pregnancy

As many as 1 out of 5 women have symptoms of depression during pregnancy. For some women, those symptoms are severe. In pregnancy, women who have been depressed before are at higher risk of depression than other women.

Depression is a serious medical condition. It poses risks for the woman and her baby. But a range of treatments are available. These include therapy, support groups and medications."
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• SleepingBeautee

• Hormones can effect your state of mind, not to mention the extra stress on your body from growing a baby. What's your diet like? Are you taking any supplements? I went though a period of depression after I had my last baby and I started seeing a therapist. He believes there is a big connection between your physical health and your mental health. So get back on those meal plans, lots of fruits, veggies, and lean proteins. If you can, pick up a copy of a magazine called Clean Eating, it has changed my life, delicious healthy food. I would imagine you're taking a prenatal, I would add a fish oil to that. It's great for you and the baby.

Being social would also help. Find a play group, church, take a class, something. I took a knitting class, I met friends and gained a great stress relief project. I hope you feel better soon hon. Good luck!
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes - pregnancy can bring on symptoms of depression. If you are feeling depressed during pregnancy, it's important you speak with your OB - you will be at greater risk for PPD.

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• YES. One thing I wish I had known more about during my pregnancy was how unbelievably helpful fish oil (or other source of DHA/Omega-3 fatty acids) can be in mood. Your brain gets very depleted during pregnancy and this helps with that. Also: B Vitamin complex!! Inositol has been shown to be effective for depression as well. Doing anything to help yourself feel better, like exercise, sunshine, healthy foodetc, can be tough, and I found that taking supplements like this made it possible for me to be able to begin to take those steps.

Your situation could bring on depression symptoms, even if you weren't pregnant - a move away from support systems is HARD. Find a mothers' group in your area, like La Leche League or another kind of group; you can ask at the local hospital or look online for these groups. Being with other moms is one fo the best things, IMO!

PM me if you have any questions about anything I mentioned!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010