how can your tell your son too man up.

glo360

Asked by glo360 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Depends on what he's not "manning up" about........
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i duno..how old? and what are some more details about the situation? with out that info i can only say is to tell him to grow up and do what an adult is supposed to do...dont be an enabler or bail him out of trouble unless you see he really is making an honest effort to do what is right.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 12:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• "Suck it up Buttercup!"

I do agree that it depends on what you are telling him to suck it up about.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Since the question is being asked in the "adult children" category...Yes. How is completely up to the parent(s) and it really depends on the circumstances.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• How to tell your son TO man up? About what?

I am just speaking from experience but at 18,my son was in college, and working part time and he was pretty much a responsible kid because his Dad and I encouraged him to be.
    So, what is your son NOT doing that you are concerned about?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't. If he's 18, he'll be out on his own or in college... The real world is sink or swim... He'll learn or he'll learn the hard way...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• At 18 years old, you cannot tell him to "man up" and he'll do it...it takes years to teach some kids responsibiliy and others not so long.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It all depends on the situation, age, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• tough love is what I have been told........ you can only help but then they start depending on you like my 21 years old does. I am trying tough love right now but it is very hard......
    juju0707

Answer by juju0707 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think some men are capable of being manly men and some are not. You would think due to all the testosterone they would all be manly. But that is not so. Thats why there are leaders and there are followers. Perhaps your son just isnt capable of being as aggressive as he should be. Maybe he is afraid of confrontation. There is nothing wrong with that. Since you are his mother you may be the ONLY person he could talk to about it. I would ask him why is it so hard for him to stand up for himself? Find out the reasons and then maybe do some role playing to build his esteem.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010