hitting

my 19 month old always reacts to anger by trying to hit/pinch me, how do i stop this idk how to do a time out for she is in a toddler bed and knows how to open her door, idk what to do..

oppsdiditagain

Asked by oppsdiditagain at 12:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the time outs I've done were always with her sitting in a chair being told that she was loved but she made a bad choice.
    looked so cute the first time she did it to her stuffed puppy!
    Anonymous

• do not use the toddler bed for time out. Pick a spot in the house, I chose the kitchen. She has to sit there until her time is up and if she gets up before then, I put her back in it. I also set a timer so that she can tell when time is up. she knows that when she hears the 'ding' time is over instead of always hearing 'can I get up now' and so on. Since she is only 19 months, you can still do the same thing but for only 1 minute per year of age. When she hits/pinches, take both hands, get down and look her straight in the eye and tell her no, that hurts. Then take her to time out. The first few times, she will rebell and try to get out but if you stay consitent, she will learn that this is expected if she misbehaves and will not fight it in the future.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I grab my son my the hand firmly (not hurting him though), look him in the eye and firmly tell him "Do not hit me." That gets to him, because he doesn't like being scolded.

Time outs - Find a secluded place away from entertainment, toys, etc. Like an empty space on a wall in the living room, hallway, kitchen, or something of that nature. When he hits one time say "You do not hit, do it again and you're getting a time out." He hits again, so you take him to the designated time out spot and he sits there for one minute of every year he is. (So one minute for one year) If he gets up you sit him back down and say "No, you are in time out, sit down please." If he gets up again sit him back down in silence everytime after that. Yes, he will test you like nothing else, but restart the time everytime he gets up. Stick to your guns and follow through. No punishment works if you don't follow through.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• MY 17 MONTH OLD SON IS IN THE HITTING STAGE AND I AM HAVING A HARD TIME WITH IT BECAUSE he is so darn cute iam having a hard time disciplining him and i know it has to be done before it gets way out of hand
    nikigrabarec

Answer by nikigrabarec at 1:14 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We give our girls a tiny drop of vinegar or worcestershire sauce. Our youngest liked the vinegar so we had to switch her to worcestershire sauce. We give them just enough to taste the tip of a medicine dropper, you don't have to over do it. We started with timeouts on the step but the behavior continued so we changed to the vinegar & worcestershire sauce.
    mom2averal

Answer by mom2averal at 11:43 AM on Jul. 27, 2010