My daughter starts K this year and I got my list. I'm confussed...

They want me to bring multiples of each item. Like 4 boxes of crayons and 4 boxes of markers and they want me to bring copy paper and 5 folders and 4 compostition note books... What for? What do the need all these folders and notebooks for? And why does my child need 4 boxes of crayons? I don't have the money to buy all of this stuff if they don't really need it. can I just send one and have them tell me when her supplies get low or need replaced?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in

• They share with everyone. Some people will send more than what is asked, others will send less, even nothing. I think it's stupid.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• They expect the supplies to last all year, and they get very little funding for classroom supplies, so the parents usually end up providing all the stuff for crafts, etc.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• redistribution of wealth! welcome to the new america.
    morethanme_you

Answer by morethanme_you at 12:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You would be amazed at how children go through crayons and other materials. More than likely the teacher will put the extra's in a communal supply closet (meaning that when some one runs out, then the teacher can grab a new pack to give to the child). This saves time. Imagine a teacher trying to write several notes a day- "Johnny needs a new pack of crayons", "Marie needs a new box of markers. Please send them to school as soon as possible". As far as the notebooks, they will need those for all their writing assignments. I did an internship in a Kindergarten classroom and they did Language Arts for 3 hours every day. During this time, they did a lot of writing and the teacher has to save ALL of the children's writings, so they go into a portfolio (the notebook). Cont.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Cont.. If you can not afford to buy everything on the list, send what you can and let the teacher know. More than likely the teacher will either have enough or she will buy it for your child.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• something close would happen to me when I was in school. I'd have neat stuff and if it didn't get stolen, the teachers would order me to let the other kids use it. Then I'd be the one stuck without anything to use.
    Should have seen the look on my fathers face when I brought home half done projects having to explain that the reason they weren't done was because other kids were using my things.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Welcome to your first Annual School Supply Nightmare.

All of the school supplies are bulked into one pot for all to share, and you WON"T get anything back at the end of the year. Some how every year those new friskars scissors vanish and new ones are expected from the incoming students. Copy paper, paper towels, Kleenex and hand sanitizer will be expected in almost regular contributions throughout the year.

Sorry- but it really only gets worse the older the kid gets.
    CarrieGemenon19

Answer by CarrieGemenon19 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• The crayons and markers and glue sticks are 'community property'. The folders are for sending papers home...one for each 9-weeks period. The computer paper is because the schools no longer provide paper for making copies and they don't have 'copy rooms' anymore. The teachers have their own printers to print of copies and need paper to print on. I'm not sure why kindergarteners need 4 composition books though, they aren't even writing yet (much). We learned not to go out and buy special folders for your kids homework folder because the teachers gather them all up and dole them out on their whim and your child will most likely not get their own folder, just buy the cheap ones.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I teach first grade and my students are asked to bring in 2 boxes of crayons for the whole year and even that's not enough. Little kids are rough on their supplies. Crayons get broken and lost easily. Those that say that all the supplies are community supplies, that might be true in some schools, but in my classroom the only thing that I do that with is pencils. If I child brings in a special pencil he or she gets to use it otherwise all the yellow pencils go into a bucket together.

To the original poster, part of why the teacher is asking for 4 boxes is now, is that the supplies are usually cheaper before school starts. You can get a box of crayons for 20 cents. Also it's difficult to get parents to send in supplies mid-year. With the folders kids will have a folder that they take back and forth to school every day. Those folders have a lot of wear and tear and don't last long. Shop around for back to school sales
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 9:01 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Wow! I don't know. Our school doesn't send out those lists. All we have to do is send them, everything else is provided. Maybe the teacher is going to be keeping them and giving them as needed, that way she won't run out through the year... I dunno... That's weird, but I think it might be getting more and more normal...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2010