Is he ready to be potty trained?

My DS turned 3 last month. Every one keeps asking me if he is potty trained- he is not. I have taken days off of work so I can sit home with him and put him on the potty all day long, but it doesnt seem to help. This is our 3rd try in about 2 months, of sitting him on the potty every 15 minutes for 3 days straight. He gets very mad and screams "I don't want!" Is this normal? Should I wait longer and try some other time? Am I a bad mom if he isn't potty trained quickly? PLEASE OFFER ADVICE!!! We have a sticker chart and a potty dance and I try to keep him on as long as possible by playing his favorite movie. I turn it off if he gets up. I give him lots of drinks through out the day. He always takes his diaper off and says he wants to go potty. I'm exhausted and confused!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The average age of potty training is 4 unless you are on cafemom then it's 18 months. It can take up to 5 years for boys to get it.

Is he showing signs? It really won't work if he isn't showing signs that he wants to go. Also every 15 minutes is too frequent and it will no longer be a game to him and will stall progress. Start with every 45 minutes or so. watch for signs that he needs to pee/poop and then take him.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My daughter didn't get it until she was 3 1/2. It seemed like everyone else was potty trained except my daughter but no matter what I did she just didn't care. Then one day it just clicked and now she goes by herself without telling me, wipes, flushes and washes her hands.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Try letting him wear training pants so when he pees he feels the wetness. Put Plastic pants on him when in the house,however when you take him outside to play just let him wear the under pants. Will not be long before he is wanting to use the potty because he will not like being wet. Works the same for little girls.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You just have to figure out what will work for him. I bribed my almost 3 year old with MnM's. I knew it was the only way bc he did not mind sitting in his own filth. Drove me nuts bc I would smell him and be like did you poop and he would scream no change me. Didn't matter if he had undies on or pulls ups.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2010