Which is the best haircolor to go with

Last time I tried to color my hair at home I went with a medium brown color because thats what I would consider my hair, but when I was done it had more of a red tint to it than what I would have liked. The grey is peaking thru again and I need to recolor, suggestions so that I don't have the red tint to it this time?

MommaB0334

Asked by MommaB0334 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• If your hair has natural red tendencies to it, and you don't want a reddish color stay away from anything that says Golden, or irridescent, or other descriptions like that because your hair will pull red from it. Mine does that. I have to go with "natural light brown, or things like that. If you go with a beige color that usually keeps the red away too. Like Beige brown, or dark beige blonde. Also look at the picture and picture it about 2 shades darker than the box, and that's what you'll get. So always go lighter than you think you should. If you think you're medium brown, then go with a light brown, etc. I have a medium brown color and recently used that color and it was sooo dark, like almost black looking to me. eek. I should have known better. ;) Good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Go to a beauty school and have it done, they use professional color and it isn't very much more than doing it at home, At home haircolor has HIGH ammonia and is damaging to the hair, it is hard not to overlap the color,, it also sounds like you need a tint back,, to take out the red, you need a lower volume of peroxide as not to damge the hair, plus that hair is more porous and could absorb the new color and go way too dark. I ham a hairstylist and have made alot of money fixing at home hair color, LOL--honestly the school (if it is a money thing) is the way to go,, GOOD LUCK!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• ash brown covers my red tints.
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 12:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Well it's because you are using box colors.. and they typically use 20 volume developer.. and since you didn't really change the level of your hair color you just wanted to cover grays, you didn't select the proper color.

Go to a salon. They will have to use two different colors to help correct this. If you slap on just an ash brown your roots are going to have a very ashy, maybe even green tint while the rest of your hair may or may not come close to the color you desire.

They are going to have to select the color you want from a chart and properly formulate a color for you. One is obviously going to be for your root area to cover grays and the other is for your corrective color. You don't need a 20 volume developer if you are staying on the same level.. it can over process your hair.

If you can't afford a salon service color correction try a school for this.. but it does need a professional to fix.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• secondly because it's a higher developer than you need it will show darker or undesired shades will pop up that were needed..

I know a box is "cheaper" but there are reasons WHY it's cheaper.. because a box can't properly formulate an exact desired color for you.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2010