Breaking the bed habit?

My son is 14 months old and has slept in bed with me since the night he was born in the hospital. He hates his crib and as soon as I lay him down he is screaming bloody murder. I don't mind him sleeping with us, but he's getting bigger and our bed is getting smaller. I would love a night of snuggling with my hubby without a baby between us, and I'd love to sleep through the night. I never had this problem with my other 2, when I wanted them to sleep in their own rooms it was just easy. Yesterday I turned his crib in to the transitional bed with the side railing, but he can climb out of it, I thought it would make him feel less confined. He took a great nap in it, and came walking out when he woke up with no problems. As soon as I laid him in it after he fell asleep for the night he woke up screaming. I really need some advice.

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 1:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would put the sides back on his bed and put him in it. You can expect that he will cry so be prepared to go to his door and reassure him that you are nearby, but don't go into his room. He knows what he likes and he doesn't intend to give it up with a fight and without making you pay for throwing him out of your bed.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i know you hear often how cruel it is but the ferbur method worked for my daughter. it took support for me to be able to do it though. i would hear her scream for 5 minutes and say "i cant do this" but when i had a friend over who helped me through it it really only took 24 minutes the first night and after that it just got easier and now my daughter is 13 months and all i have to do is put her in her crib, say i love you and give hugs and leave the room. it takes a few minutes for her to go to sleep and she doesnt cry for even a minute anymore.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• He IS your different child. You may need to take a least 3 nights to introduce something new. It depends if you want to do cry it out or something a little less harsh. I am not a fan of CIO so I would lay next to his bed on a blanket for these 3 nights and get him to fall asleep with you next him, but do not pick up him or let him lay with you, make sure he stays in his bed.Once he is asleep you walk out. If he wakes in the night just bring him back to his bed and take a extra minute or two to put him back it may take a couple of trips but he will get the idea. KEEP it up for 3 nights and you should see a difference. After that then address how he falls asleep now, you can put him down and walk out and if he gets up(probably will) just walk him back and put him back in the bed till he gets the idea. GOOD LUCK!!!
    allmomma

Answer by allmomma at 1:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2010