Gay ex officer to testify against DADT, thoughts?

RIVERSIDE, Calif. – If the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy were lifted today, Mike Almy would not think twice about returning to the Air Force.

The former major who was fired in 2006 for being gay will testify Thursday in federal court in Riverside during a non-jury trial that is presenting the biggest constitutional test in recent years to the military's policy banning openly gay service members.

Almy is one of two former service members scheduled to testify this week on behalf of the lawsuit filed by the Log Cabin Republicans, a gay rights organization challenging the policy's constitutionality. Lawyers for the group are seeking a federal injunction to immediately halt the policy banning openly gay service members.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100715/ap_on_re_us/us_gays_in_military

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• People who are for DADT disgust me. Let's see them join then, instead of the "horrible gays" fighting to keep us safe. And those who are enlisted should be ashamed of themselves. Gay people are fighting right alongside them, for the same things. Who cares where they want to sleep at night?
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• He KNEW the policy when he went in. No one MADE him join. I am not saying the policy is right or wrong but it IS the policy and he KNEW the risks. It's the military.......They want your opinion they issue it . NOT Oh well I may grace them with my presence if they choose to change the rules to how I would like them to be!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I know....I read that. What I am saying is he KNEW the RISK of having that on his computer an he KNEW the risk of "hiding". If he got caught he would be fired. This isnt a secret rule LOL. I am NOT saying the rule is right or wrong...BUT he KNEW the consequences if he broke the rule. Dont like the rule...work to CHANGE it....THEN sign up :) I dont know why people find this so difficult...rules and laws arent supposed to be a pick and choose deal. Either get them CHANGED or follow them...and either way you follow them TILL they're changed!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No one asked him, and he didn't tell, so what policy did he violate? I'm confused.

You're just being facetious here......right? You dont think the law is quite that literal do you? ok...HERE for those who either REALLY dont get it or are just being silly....

the policy prohibits anyone who "demonstrate(s) a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts"

THATS the rule. I didnt write it just is what it is. There was a ROUTINE computer search and he had something that broke said rule. But hey if the rule CHANGES he is A ok.  

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Sometimes archaic practices need to be changed, period. The military is no exception. I do not care about the "culture" that some want to defend. People are people. Why should someone's sexual orientation be up for discussion when it comes to their job? Why would anyone defend that beyond antiquated practice? We do not discriminate in other fields, why this one? The "Good Old Boys Mentality" needs to be eliminated. You can't deal with treating a co-worker respectfully ? In all other industries we have a name for that practice/environment- Hostile Workplace. It's acceptable behavior, period. You do not like the rules of civility that exist in the rest of society, Too darn bad- you're relieved of your duty; services no longer needed. Grow up and accept- It's a brand new day-

Nothing but old, tired excuses.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think the government needs to think long and hard about the effects of lifting the DADT policy.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

Answer by lovinangels 12 minutes
    ***********************
    I know. What is the deal...even if a guy or a woman doesn't tell , everyone will still know. Right?He didn't tell.
    It s not the business of the Government to decide ,on the basis of sexual orientation,who serves and who doesn't serve their country. It is so infantile.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• What they did to him is just wrong!

Answer by older at 2:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Unacceptable practice-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010