Sex ed in kindergarten? I say no way how about you?

I just learned they are thinking of starting sex ed in kindergarten---Whoa nellie! I think it is important for kiddos to learn the birds and the bees, but kindergarten? I think it is too soon, they will allow us parents to opt out of it, and I think I am going to what do you think? The plan is to tell them about sex, birth control etc,,, My son is so interested in bodily functions the way it is,, I cannot even imagine what he will run with after this class,, LOL!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 1:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was simply responding to what she wrote. How I would feel if it were true. It's not like I m alerting the presses,lol. I just suggested that if this is the case She should make bigger deal out of it. Like I said, I have seen hints around CM(not just in answers) and on the web, I just cant find them right now. That talk about a sex ed curriculum for elementry school students that includes MUCH more than just anatomy.

RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 2:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• completely in favor of sex ed in kindergarten, but it depends on what they specifically want to teach.

OK, did they give you a lesson plan to read? are you sure they want to teach birth control in kindergarten? Even then, hate to tell you, but it may be appropriate. A friend of mine's neighbor had just had their 6th baby. Her daughter came home and asked 'geez mom, can't they get a shot to make them so they don't have kids?
    she was around kindergarten age.
    I was around that age when I asked if there was something people could do to not have babies.

so what are they looking to do specifically?

I see posts like this all the time. I applaud sex ed, but if you are concerned I say ask for a lesson plan. See what they are actually looking to teach and at what age.
    you may be jumping the gun with your worry.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It's not sex ed at that age, it's just teaching them the basic biology. If you don't want your kids to know that boys have penises and girls have vulvas then by all means pull them out. However, if your kids don't know that stuff by age 5 then you're doing them a disservice. They shouldn't be ignorant of their own bodies.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• uhmm nooo wayyyy !!!! that is way to young to know about that stuff and to young to understand it !
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• That is entirely too young to be teaching sexual education! It should be the parent's responsibility to teach their children about sexual education when they think their child is ready.. not the public education system!!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Possible TMI for some- from what I've heard and I've read some of the acutal proposals for some school districs is that the so called 'sex ed' in kindergarten is actually teaching proper names for body parts.

seriously, is the idea of kids calling their body parts by the actual names really THAT tragic?
    whether you call it a Pee pee or a 'whizzer', or a 'wing wang', 'wee wee' or a 'woo woo' it's still a P*nis and they are still talking about the same thing. so why not just teach the kids what the actual name is and deal with it?

what is the big problem?

Anonymous

• I say go for it! education is power!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Kindergarten...? Nope...way too young!! Let them be little!!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 1:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• it is to soon to talk about alot of things but kinders still need to know good touch bad touch and what to do if someone tries to touch in bad ways. you dont have to let your child go to the class, teach this at home. this is a conversation i had with my kids as soon as they could understand. but i also think its important for them to know their teachers can be trusted as well because what if its a father or sister or brother? then they need someone outside of the home they can count on.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think the big problem is that too many kids aren't being taught by their parents, or sad as it is, the parents don't know the actual facts either!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010