Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Can my landlord legally do this?

My bf got arrested for breaking some things in our apt. (window, 2 holes in wall, and door) The prosecutor told me the apt complex had 48 hours to press charges. They never did. The state did though. I am estimating that the damage was not over $400 because the window was not brand new and I was told it was only $100 and the door is made of a material like cardboard. He and I both are being charged $800. Can the apt manager legally hold me accountable for damages he caused because I'm on the lease? She says she can. She says we have to pay at least $100 a month with our rent and if we miss a payment she will evict us and press charges. Can she still? Can she legally charge us for damages already fixed? Because we have broke a door and had holes in the walls before and fixed them ourselves and that was fine so we did that this time but she is saying we still have to pay.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • sweetheart, if you have a man in your life that breaks things when he gets angry, I say you have bigger problems then your landlord charging you. If he's breaking objects then he's very likely to come at you and break your arm.

    Get out or get some suggestions from a counselor!

    Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • She can legally charge you for the damages that were caused by anyone you allowed on the property! It is your fault if you made the repairs yourself. You should NEVER repair something without getting consent from your landlord.. because that can have adverse effects on you if the repair is not satisfactory.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • Yah.. you are going to have to pay because you are on the lease & you let someone in your apt and they ruined stuff.

    Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • Her building/Her rules. Yup. Live & learn. It hurts more when it hits in the pocket right? You could ask her if the cost would be less if you fixed things yourselves but I doubt it. How much was your security deposit when you moved in? if it was more than $800 then you could just move out & let them keep it 7 call it even. Just get a receipt when you leave.


    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • 7=&

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • They can absolutely charge you personally. And I'm sure that $800 includes not just the materials but the labor to make all of the repairs. And if you've damaged the apartment in the past and tried to repair it yourselves they can charge you to repair it to their satisfaction. That is THEIR property and you can't just live like animals trashing the place without any repercusions.

    But mostly I agree with ItsMe. You have WAY bigger problems on your hands than a busted door or window. Get out of that relationship and stablize your life. I'm assuming if you're on CM you're a mother and that is not a good enviroment to raise kids in, especially since it's not the first time it's happened!!


    Answer by deadheadjen at 1:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • Listen to deadheadjen! She's 100% right!

    Answer by SAHM_USAF at 1:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • While I agree with above, I just wanted to add, I don't *think* she can charge you both for the same things. I would tell her you each want an itemized list of what the $800 is going towards and you want it signed. If she tries charging you both for the same items, I would look into it.

    Answer by mama2three717 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

  • Please contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

    Answer by rkoloms at 1:21 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.