Inherited a sweet dog w/ a couple of problems...can you help?

Allie is a sweet, calm dog that my MIL got from a friend. She can't care for the dog, so we took her into our home. Allie is obese, and walks like an old dog, but the previous owner said she's only 4. She also has a long, thick coat.
So my questons are: How can I get Allie to lose weight safely, and how do I thin out her coat (we live in AZ..it is HOT!) ???

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 1:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pets

• I would start by getting her shaved. All that hair is added weight and with the heat, she probably feels so tired. After she is shaved, you can see just how much weight she needs to lose. You can also get a better judgment on why she is walking like that. Maybe it's just all the hair, the heat, or there is something else bothering her. But, I would definitely contact a groomer.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Take her for lots of walks and give her lots of exercise. You can also see about getting special dog food that is geared towards helping them lose weight.

Take her to a groomer and get them to either thin out her hair or shave her so she stays cool.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• there is special dog food for obese dogs, its purina healthy weight. and jsut start taking her for regular walks. it will help.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• What breed of dog is she? For dogs with longer hair and an undercoat like Collies, you may think they're really hot, but that underlayer is actually insulation in the winter and keeps them cool in the summer, also if you shave a dog that is not meant to be shaved there's a chance their coat won't come back like it was, it may be a different texture, etc. I just shaved my golden and my collie, just because they had some mattes that I couldn't get out, but this is all stuff I learned recently. It's nice not to have to deal with the hair as much though, but my collie is one ugly dog without her coat. ;) Anyway, you can get special dogfood that is lite, and you can just walk her a lot, and play outside with her a lot and get her exercise, and feed her a certain amount at certain times of the day, the weight will come off. Good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You can take her to a groomer and shave down her coat. Not too short, because dogs have the same insecurity with looks so to speak as humans too. However, you can cut it shorter to help her.

Take her to the vet and get her tested first. Weight test, diabetes test, etc. Then the vet can help you from there as to what kind of diet is good for her. It is important to take her out on long walks everyday as well. Make sure she drinks lots of water too.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• She is a Japanese Chin
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Shave her down. Take her to the vet for an exam. She could be bloated from worms. There are foods designed for obese dogs.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think the first place to start as a new dog owner is with a visit to the veterinarian. He/She can advise you on the appropriate steps to take. The root cause of the obesity is important to determine. Is just a clear case of overfeeding? Is the dog hypothyroid? (very common) Getting some baseline tests done and putting together a game plan with your vet is a wise first step.

BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 3:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Bloodwork to see if she has a thyroid or other issue contributing to her weight is a good idea.
    There are weight management formulas that are good. Small meals throughout the day are best when trying to drop weight, so doggie will not seem like she is starving and it will help keep energy up for some good walks and play to help get her trimmed down a bit. Do not shave her. A good groomer will thin out a coat and that will make her more comfortable.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:17 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Science Diet weight control formula dog food works well, have them groomed (shaved), and make sure your dog has alot of exercise, possibly a run for your backyard? If allie is a young dog shed probably start running around if she lost a lil weight.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 2:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2010