Delayed Cord Clamping

Is anything thinking about delayed cord clamping?
http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/restricted-umbilical-cord-problems.html
Just putting a thought in your minds!

NoahsMomma418

Asked by NoahsMomma418 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have five kids. With my first we did not delay clamping and cutting the cord, and she had jaundice. For the next three, we delayed and cut the cord when the placenta was delivered, and one of them had jaundice. My fifth was a C-section baby, with immediate cord clamping, and he's the one who had the worst jaundice. My experience doesn't count as proof, but it is illustrative that there is no direct correlation between cord clamping and and jaundice, despite that common assumption.

Delaying *at least* until the cord stops pulsing is beneficial and healthy, it provides blood and oxygen to the baby while the baby transitions to the outside world... the benefits outwiegh any risks, and there is almost *never a reason to clamp and cut the cord immediately.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have been researching this issue and I find it very interesting. I plan to bring up the issue to my OB/GYN and see what her opinion is. There are definitely benefits...
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I delayed with both of mine. My first was about 20 minutes and my second was a little over an hour after I delivered the placenta. I don't understand why delayed cord clamping is not standard practice. It's been shown delaying even just 3 minutes has benefits.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I had them wait to clamp with my 2nd child after reading a bit on it. Now I wonder if it had anything to do with him having jaundice so bad, he had to stay an extra day under the lamp. Babies naturally have a high blood volume, because they're not breathing air, so they're have alot more RBCs for the Hemoglobin for oxygen. Well, after they're born, those extra rbc's are broken down because they're not needed anymore since they're breathing air now, and when they're broken down, they release bilirubin, so I wonder if waiting to clamp he had a lot more blood-which he really didn't need and it was a longer process to break the extra down= higher level of jaundice. Something think about, I really don't know the right answer. I'm in nursing school now so reading about all this made me think more heavily on the subject.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We delayed DS until his cord stopped pulsing, about 45 mins after birth :)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• we delayed DS for an hour and DD for 45 minutes ( neither had jaundice at all). =)
    NoahsMomma418

Comment by NoahsMomma418 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2010