how long should i wait untill i take my newborn out in public ?

des11987

Asked by des11987 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That depends solely on the gestational period that your baby was born, where you are going, who will be there, and such...
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You don't have to wait. If you had this baby in the hospital, she has already been exposed to everything she can be. Babies don't have to be kept at home.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• as long as possible. but if you have a moby wrap or something that you can wear him/her. that will keep people away from your baby. good luck and congrats!!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 1:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Just use common sense. Outdoors is fine. If you're going to be in a crowded mall you might want to drape a blanket over the stroller or use a carrier just so people can't poke.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I had to take one of mine to wal mart on the way home from the hospital because we didnt have enough diapers! (she surprised us 10 days early).
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• you can take her out be be strict, dont let everyone comeup and touch her. keep hand sanitizer in your purse so that when someone asks if they can touch her they can use it. i had a onsie for my daughter that said dont touch me. she wore it in public for the forst month or so, it worked. oh and remember that hand sanitzer does not kill e-coli so make sure people have used soap and water after the toilet. hand sanitizer works for all other situations.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We took my son out right away... he was born in the summer (today actually is his birthday) but had he been born in the germy winter we would have stayed home more. Just don't let anyone touch your baby when you are out.... for some reason people think they can just touch a new baby... it's creepy!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• With both of my kids we stopped at the grocery store on the way home from the hospital... and then went out the next day.. I had c-sections and walking helps your muscle heal so the day after we got home we took DS to the mall so I could walk around and with DD we went to church the next day because it was mothers day and I dont like to miss church anyways and both of my kids get sick MAYBE once a year...
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I took both of my kids out right away. Like m-avi said, the baby was already exposed to a lot in the hospital. Do what you feel comfortable with though. If you feel like you should wait, then wait. If you feel like it's fine, then go out.
    There's no required time to keep your baby inside for.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• you dont need to stay coped up at home it is summer time....not cold and flu season. dont let people touch the baby that you dont know. and just use good judgment. i had to take my little one to the grocery store when she was 3 days old. i was proud walking around holding my new baby....
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 1:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2010