Speech Evaluation-Early Intervention

So I just left my daughter's 18 month appt at the Pediatrician, and it turns out she is not meeting her 20 word quota. Her hearing is fine and she understands what we say to her and does babble on all the time, but she doesn't say more than mama or da da. I contacted the Alliance Early Intervention Program to come to the home- just waiting for them to schedule it etc... Did anyone else's child have this issue or did you go through this program?

Jodeye

Asked by Jodeye at 1:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we did birth to three
    daughter turning three next tuesday! so no more
    but did have therapists come to home, speech, ot and social
    my daughter is three 9almost) and just had last eval, she has at 1 yr 9 months for speech, and she has made improvements

hoping best for you and your child

mine does not have anything wrong with physical part of mouth for speech, it is autism spectrum
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• yup...and my sons hearing is fine as well he is diagnosed with verbal apraxia and meets with a speech pathologist every friday. he understands and knows what he is trying to say but his words come out a little jumbled or missing vowels or sometimes consonants....(he is 3) and has been going to his talking teacher (that is what we tell him she is) for a few months now. and i am already seeing an improvement. here is a link on youtube to a news report about it. also you can follow other links on the side and watch other videos of toddlers with speech problems. i knew what my son had before i was even told. thanks to these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqMZ2musuoQ&feature=related
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 1:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes, my older daughter saw a speech therapist because she was not talking as much as she should have been, and she was having trouble pronouncing many common sounds that she should have been able to. She saw her speech therapist for just over a year, 1 hour, once per week, and tested completely within normal ranges at her last evaluation. She's never had any problems since then and she's 9 now. I am glad you are having your child evaluated, because if there is an issue, the sooner it is addressed, the better. And it may be something that if handled now could be very minor, as it was with my child. Good luck to you!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Thanks everyone for the support and helpful information. I'm looking forward to the evaluation to get some answers. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Jodeye

Comment by Jodeye (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Jul. 17, 2010