Anyone have a toddler showing signs of anxiety yet??

Our ped. thinks our son is showing early signs of anxiety and my husband thinks its BS.. Even though we BOTH suffer from anxiety personally..I am on meds for it, and he is not, although he suffers from it admittedly. Our son is only 2-1/2 and already has an extreme type personality but throws fits about the smallest things and very often.. I told my husband that I want to call the Early childhood intervention - a free service in our area because that is what our Ped recommended and his reaction just really pissed me off - he said "oh great so now we had a kid that's going to shrinks already, great,... whatever" its like he's so afraid of being labeled or something.. it just makes me mad since we actually waited years on even having children because of my fears of passing my mental illness on to a child.. now that it has, I want to get help asap for him and he's shrugging it off ?? any one have a child with issues like this?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My oldest has early symptoms as well, he even stopped speaking for a year. My advice is tell your husband that his insecurities about his or your son's anxiety issues aren't worth risking long term issues. And take your son to be evaluated. I wish I could tell you all about the treatments and whatnot that we are doing, but we are just starting on this road as well. We are researching nutritional and homeopathic options over medication, but I still don't have it all down yet. My son is 4, I wish we hadn't waited, it just made things worse... Don't wait, get him the help he needs now!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My child does not have these issues, but it sounds to me like you are going to have to be the one to take charge of your child's emotional health since your husband is acting like a child about it. Best of luck to you and your little one.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• That's a tough one, because at that age having tantrums and freaking out over little things often is normal. So even though your anxiety may have been passed down, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet and get worried about it. On the other hand though, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting him evaluated or seeing if there's any areas you can help him with. My son started speech therapy with EI when he was 2, and they are wonderful. It's a free service, so if there's any concern, why not utilize them.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 1:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• early intervention good IMO
    learned a lot in last year
    my daughter is sensory seeking
    your MAYBE sensory avoiding
    all par t of spd
    sensory processing disorder

also my husband has shrugged off-part of man thing, men have more denial, women are take action

do what you can for you child, early help, testing, therapy all good
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2010