How do I handle this one... lots of sounds?

My three year old son has a speech delay. His dr has asked us to take him to a specialist to see about autism. (we have an appt in a few months.... I can't get over how much you have to wait for specialist appts.. but that's another post...lol)
Anyway, he walks around the house repeating a lot of sounds, such as "gee" and words, such as "baby". When we go out places he will out these same noises because he's excited, and of course everyone turns and stares at us. He's really not loud just repeats the noises. Is this some sort of stimming? Should I let him do this? Should I redirect him into an activity? Thanks!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son has aspergers/autism and if he isnt throughing a fit or realy hurting anyone with his stimming i let him do it...it makes him happy and gets him well be haved
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• it is stim
    going to stores is very overwhelming, and kids will do stims to calm himself

think of a store, we are used to
    but
    tons to look at-too much visual
    people everywhere, all moving in direct directions, no path, no continuos reason
    smells, all new
    sounds, loud, different, voices all over the place

confinement in a cart, want to get out and touch all new things
    stopping in cart at check out, not good, movement stopped
    etc etc etc
    been there done that, know that, still learning that each day

email me if you like, exchange info and suggestions to deal with situations that trigger tantrums
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• oh and the wait! tell me about it
    we have had your daughter to see autism doc-four appts before he wrote report
    then one to one and a half year waiting list for in home therapy

the paperwork and hoops to jump through are emense, find a preson in system to help yoou through
    we are lucky we got help at 2 yrs plus a few months, she was in birth to three for last 9 months and someone there helped me with what paperwork is next, what agangy to call next, which doctor to see, who to contact in school system, she went to IEP meeting with me when school system did there thing

all worth it, but very drainning
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree with fiatpax... And I would just let him do it. It is his way of coping and he isn't hurting anyone. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• fiatpax - thank you for the response. I never thought of it that way. I can understand more why he is doing that in the stores now. I have to keep him in a stroller or cart when we go places because I'm afraid he will take off on me. I feel bad doing this since he's 3 and very tall for his age, but I've seen how quick he takes off. For example, we went away to the beach and before we coiuld open the door to the hotel room, I had to grab his hand; becasue if I didn't he would be gone. He doesn't tantrum, but he will plop himself down if he doesn't want to do something or leave.
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• If anyone gives you dirty looks,you give them right back hon! I get so sick of people being rude to my son with autism,I've almost went off on a few! Your LO isn't hurting anybody,he's just trying to make sense of all the stimuli coming in.My son's thing is the echolalia still to this day,and he's 9.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• butterflyblue19 - Thank you for responding. I like what you wrote about giving nasty looks..lol. I do notice he tends to do it more at home, though. "Echolalia" that's what its called... thanks. Is there a way to help him with all this stimuli?
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• He has been in speech therapy for a year. I wonder why the speech therapist didn't mention echolalia to me? He really doesn't do it too much during his session, but I have told her about it.
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I don't have a child with autism or autistic type behaviors but my reaction to this is never interfer with someone's natural tendencies or behavior where they aren't truly of any reasonable offence. People should be especially tolerant of kids too. Your son's noises and word repetitions are expressions of his precious unique personality - IMO :)
    GentleMam

Answer by GentleMam at 3:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My ds stims vocally quite often. I redirect him. I've seen many opinions on this, but I want my ds to behave in a "socially acceptable" way, so I give him times when it's ok to this. And reward him with something small each time he goes a certain length of time with no stims. My ds will be 9 soon.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 16, 2010