What is Baptism?

I know HOW it's done... My question is What is it? Why is it done? Is it something that should really be taken lightly?

I was reading some of the answers on a previous question and was shocked at the people who said things like "it's no big deal" or "we did it to make "so&so" happy" or "it doesn't matter."

I always thought Baptism was a serious matter between you and your God. Not something I would think should be taken lightly...

So, what do you think? What is Baptism? What does it mean to you?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's extremely important in my religion, and it isn't taken lightly. Typically the age of baptism is 8 and we are asked if we understand the covenants we are making etc....
    Baptism is done to cleanse oneself and make commitments between us and Heavenly Father. We take on ourselves his name, that we'll keep his commandments (don't kill, don't lie..etc etc...treat people with love and compassion..).
    We don't just do it to pacify.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I was raised Catholic and was taught that Baptism is the removal of original sin which all babies are born with. Also, it is welcoming the baby into the church. We were taught that if a baby was not baptized and dies it would not go to heaven. I am not a practicing Catholic today. I believe that if there is a God he/she is all loving and could care less if we are baptized. This is just my feeling about it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• How my church works is it is kinda a big deal. All babies are baptized (or at least that is the goal). It is to wash away original sin so that if something unfortunate happens the baby can still go to heaven. My mom and MIL were/are paranoid about that and that is why they pushed for my sons to be baptized. It is also when the parents and Godparents vow to raise the baby to know God.

To me personally, it is no big deal. It is some water on the head. It is a 'safety net' in case my kid dies and there is a heaven and hell. I did it mostly to get my mom and MIL to stop bugging me about it. I am not going to force any religion on my kids. Instead they will learn about multiple religions and can choose during adolescence which one they want to be part of.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• To my family and church it is a very big deal, it is religious purification and consecration....those who do not take if very seriously who claim to be in the spirit, in my opinion are very much NOT in the Spirit.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Baptism is a very serious matter between you and God, as you said. It should be done as an act of obedience once you hear the word and repent of (turn away from) your sins. Acts 2:38. If you do it just to please someone else, or because so and so is doing it, you're just getting wet and it means nothing. Baptism is for the remission of sins. I would be more than happy to talk more to you about this privately.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I took the Baptism of my children seriously. To me it is a sacrament and a commitment the parents are making to the child and God. There are other sacraments along the way that children and adults make. It's also a celebration because family and friends have gathered together to welcome a child into the church.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Here is what true Biblical baptism is:

Baptism is, according to the Bible, an outward testimony of what has occurred inwardly in a believer’s life. Baptism illustrates a believer’s identification with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection.
    Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
    Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    In TRUE BIBLICAL baptism, the action of being immersed in the water symbolizes dying and being buried with Christ. The action of coming out of the water pictures Christ’s resurrection.

In Biblical baptism, there are two requirements before a person is baptized: 1) the person being baptized must have trusted in Jesus Christ as Savior....
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 1:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• 2) the person must understand what baptism signifies. If a person knows the Lord Jesus as Savior, understands that Christian baptism is a step of obedience in publicly proclaiming his faith in Christ, and desires to be baptized, then there is no reason to prevent the believer from being baptized. According to the Bible, Baptism is important because it is a step of obedience—publicly declaring faith in Christ and commitment to Him—an identification with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection.
    missionarywifey

• p.s... this is precisely why infant baptism is not Scriptural. They do not meet the Biblical requirements for baptism.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 1:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2010