What are the signs your child is ready for potty training?

jenae_gist

Asked by jenae_gist at 2:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• one of the main signs is if your child is telling you they have to go or they went and want to be changed. Doesnt have to be verbal. My son is speech delayed and tells me in his own way. Also a good sign is if they stay dry upon waking in the morning or after a nap. This means good bladder control. Underwear during the day is a good way to boost bladder control. Being able to dress and undress will make it easier for a child to do it by themselves. But not all can do that. My son still needs my help, but that doesnt mean he isnt ready! You generally want to wait till about age 2 to start teaching the basics since they can comprehend a bit more at this age! But many learn sooner! Just follow your child's readiness signs. It isnt a race and never force it upon them. Don't feel frustrated if it doesnt work out at first. It's all part of the learning process!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• my 13 month old can tell me potty, she drags me by the hand to the toilet so i can put her on it, but she doesnt know when she actually has to go yet. but its preparing her for when she can.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• pottying can begin at any time. it's all in your approach. read this http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2010