For those who DO see Baptism as a Big Deal...

At what age do you think a person is able to make that commitment? At what age can marriage be considered?

I do not believe in baptism, nor do I see marriage as a "death do us part" kind of thing... BUT, I see many people who tend to believe in both tend to have what I see as a kind of contradictory belief about ages...

Meaning I have seen many say that children 5, 6, 7 or 8 are old enough to make a life long commitment to God through Baptism, and then those same people seem to want those same children to be 25 to get married because they aren't mature enough to make that choice... Which seems odd to me. I would think it would be the other way around. It's better to break a bond with a person than with God, so I would think a marriage age would be at a younger age...

Just my thoughts... what are yours?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't see baptism as a big deal so here is a bump.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• 8 is the typical age of accountability, that's why they typically...not always, make that commitment around that time. But you don't make that commitment BEFORE 8.....it's 8 or OLDER. As for marriage...that's whenever after your legal of course. It's more important that you find the right person. It's between you and Heavenly Father.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• When my children were old enough to understand and make the decision to be baptised we did. They had to under go a lot of questions and etc from our pastor.

Your baptism is between the person and the Savior.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Well, I see a baptism as something to wash away sin. The bible says that we are all born with original sin. But I don't think a baby would go to hell for it. I don't know though. I dedicated my son to God at a dedication service on Mother's day(meaning we prayed for help in doing our best to raise him in a Godly way, as he is not just our child, but a child of heaven). He will make the decision to wash away his sins on his own, only with ours and the church's guidance. If he so chooses.

I got married when I was 21. I knew when I was 18 that I want to spend the rest of my life with my husband. I do see it as a "til death do us part" thing. My son will only have one father on earth. And so will my future children. I made a promise to myself and my husband that I would stick with him.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I believe that both baptism and marriage are "big deals." Both require maturity and understanding. I personally think that anyone who wishes to be baptized for remission of sins should should show emotional maturity and show that they understand what they are doing and why. Most children under the age of thirteen or fourteen, in my opinion, are not ready spiritually or emotionally because they really dont have a grasp on what sin is. If you have no idea what sin is then obviously you cannot truly be repentant. Children, until they reach the age of maturity (differs with each child) are innocent and do not need to be baptized. If they are , most if not all are just getting wet.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Whether you agree of not marriage was instituted by God and is his idea. So we really cannot leave God out of a successful marriage. There is no one age when a person is really to be married, there are a lot of things that go with that decision. As far as baptism the person must be of an accountable age whereby they can make a decision based on what they have learned and understand about God.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I believe a baptism should not happen until at least the age of eighteen. The reason I believe this is because a child does not fully understand religion or the point of baptism. They must understand this before baptism and also must not feel obligated to make their family happy. Religion, god all that is a personal thing. As for marriage again 18 just because that is the age the child becomes an adult. as for the death do us part thing. I don't beleive marriage has any thing to do with that. The heart does. I believe that when ever we fall in love that person will remain in our heart until death. I believe that is the bond not matrimony.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Both are committments to God. I made a public profession of faith and was baptized at the age of 5. I got married at the age of 18. I find that I am able to stay committed to my husband because I recognize it as a vow we took with God and each other. If it was just a committment to another person, it probably would be easier to break. People often dissapoint us and we grow tired of each other, but knowing this a vow to God keeps us intentionally working on being better spouses.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Kinda OT, but what I don't understand is why a child is old enough and able enough to choose to follow Christianity at age 8, but if that same child chooses a different path, they are not old enough to make that choice...

As for marriage, I don't see anything wrong with marrying young. But it should be thought out.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Former Christian but for the way I was raised, 13 was the age of accountablity or the age of menstration for a woman, whichever came first. Which is strange because boys always had to be 13 and girls could be as old as 8. And that kinda fits into the older man marries younger woman as reflected historically in European and Middle Eastern socity. And marraige is a legal contract so the laws of the land prevail.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2010