Stubborn mama cat wont feed her litter!

I have a cat who got pregnant a second time, shortly after her first litter was weaned. (Yes, i know. She needs to be spayed. That will happen as soon as this litter allows). The problem is she continually moves the babies and she refuses to feed them. She can constantly be found letting the female from her previous litter nurse on her. I'm at my wits' end fighting with her. Two of the kittens are missing a leg and have already survived so much, including being abandoned in a plastic sack for over a day when they were born --her fault. I will take up feeding them once I find them if need be but is there any way to get her to take responsiblity for her kittens?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 2:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pets

• could b ill babies try feeding them with a dropper or ask around to c if anyone n the neighborhood has a nurseing mama u can borrow thats what my old mama cat did she fed homeless motherless kittens
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I always heard that a cat knows when something is wromg with a baby and will abandon it if she thinks it can not survive. I have no idea if this is true, but it could explain some of her behavior.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• you cant. nature works very oddly. its survival of the fittest. they are not healthy. something maybe beyond what you can see is not right and she does not think they can be healthy. therefor she will let them die as in nature this is how a mother views to be the best way.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• thats going to be hard to do what we had to do is go out and buy the stuff to feed them our self cause the mom wouldnt i wish there was something to be said to help her feed them but there isnt really
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• even our shelter wouldn't take the kittens that young~and if they are not going to be adoptable. it does sound like mamma kitty gone loco~
    my cat was hand fed and he is the best cat~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• The kittens will be three weeks old tomorrow and are definitely fighters. One had an infection on her leg and I just knew she was going to die. She over came that and is usually the loudest one when she's hungry, and was the first to try and walk when mama cat moved them to the kitchen.
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Shame on the people who say its nature. This is a domesticated cat...it is not a wild one.

Go to your vet, or a pet store and ask for KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) they will also have nursing bottles as well. Mix the KMR according to the directions on the package. Then, its every two hours for feeding them. After they are done, you need to take a warm washcloth and stimulate them to go to the bathroom (In essence, you are doing everything she should be doing but won't) Make sure they are kept warm as well.

It isn't her fault that she left them in the birthing sac, its yours. You should have been around to help her give birth. She should have been spayed before she had any litters but I am not going to harp on that.

If you have any other questions PM me. I raised kittens that were 2 weeks old. All survived, we still have four of them.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You can't find the kittens? Well she must at least be feeding them if they have made it three weeks, why do you say she's not feeding them? Maybe she is moving them because she wants to be left alone, I don't understand how they were "abandoned in a plastic sack for a day when they were born", she just moved them to a plastic sack or what? I'm assuming this is an outdoor cat since you can't find the kittens, can you keep her and the kittens indoors (when you find them)? Or am I wrong about them being outdoors? How'd they loose legs? You just found them that way? If you do find them you may have to supplement them with kitty milk replacer if the mamma really is refusing to feed them. How long ago did she have last litter? Maybe it was too close to this litter and she's exhausted physically and doesn't have the ability to feed them. You might want to have a vet look over them as well sounds like they've had a rough start.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 12:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• @Acid -- Yes she should have been spayed before hand. Moot point. But seeing as I cant read a cat's mind to know when she's about to give birth, I generally leave that up to her. Besides the fact that she waited til we had left for the day to take my son to his doctor appointments. As much as I love my felines, human child needs come first.
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010