Canned food, how hot can it be stored?

I am considering building a pantry in my garage. I need to know at what temp is too hot to store canned goods. thanks mamas!

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 2:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• This was my issue as well, I had no place of a pantry--- Last fall I had mine in the entryway (we live in a trailer house) and had to heat it all winter, and this spring I thought it would get too hot, my mom told me the cooler you keep canned goods without freezing them the better. My SO built shevles 4 of them, heavy duty out of wood, in a coat closet I collect the cardboard flats that canned veggies come in, the second-fourth shelves can hold three flats across and three high(each flat holds 12 cans) and then there is space for a row of cans between the last flat and the wall and some in front of the flats(you can stack three high). It is right in the house so it is heated and a/c and it works alot better. My mom has a pantry in her basement. I love it last time canned corn, and green beans were on sale 12/$4.88 I stocked up. To anwser you question better--- store it in nothing hotter than room temp.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think it would be too hot to put food out there. Anything more than you'd set your home at, I would imagine would be too hot.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Most labels have a store at room temp or no more than 108 type blurb on the label somewhere, and the websites of major companies have to have the answer as well
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 2:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010