When did you start feeding solids, and what did you start with?

I wanted to know how old your child was when they started on solids (cereal, baby food, etc.) and what did you first feed them? I read now that doctors are suggesting that you can feed your baby a meat or even applesauce first and that it doesn't have to be cereal like long ago. My daughter will be 4 months old on the 26th and she's been showing signs of readiness for solids for quite sometime. Actually since she was about 1 1/2 months to 2 months old she was holding her head up without support, watched us eat, and took from a spoon with out using the "push" reflex. I tried cereal at 2 1/2 months but she just wasn't interested. Do you think it would okay to start her on something else besides cereal first? My pediatrician wants me to wait to give her solids until she's 6 months but I know she'll eat them before them. If possible please give some suggestions. Thanks!

magicbarr

Asked by magicbarr at 2:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• About six months cereal is best then veggies one at a time to make sure no allergies, then fruit.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Six months, mashed banana. Them being interested isn't as important as what you CANNOT see...the inside of the gut which doesn't close till six months.

You DO NOT have to start with cereal. They recommend it because it's bland...I'm amazed it doesn't turn children off to eating altogether.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• 6 months is the minimum rec now. Readiness is more than holding the head up, sitting unassisted (so that food falls forward out of the mouth to prevent choking), and losing the tongue reflex, and the ability to bring food to the mouth. It is also digestive maturity and the ability to move the food with the tonuge and make chewing motions (both of which are complex motions and need time to develop). Even if a baby can grab a spoon and get the food in the mouth, they will not be able to digest it for some time. Sometimes they just want to play, but won't actually eat. That's why food before one is for fun and experience not nutrition.

Cereal, you are right, is no longer reccommended by the studies that show that grains are indigestible for babies and often cause constipation and gas. Fruits and veggies are find foods and you don't need to waste your money on jar food or special homemade puree equipment.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• At 6 months I let my baby have a suck on my apple because she was interest. She gummed and sucked and licked it but clearly could not eat it despite the fact she was sitting up and grabbing food. Anything she managed to accidentally swallow came out exactly the way it went in. I didn't give her anything else until 7 1/2 months when she stole food from my plate, put it inter mouth, moved it around with her tongue, chewed and swallowed it before I could blink. We tried everything except for dairy, meat, and hard things like nuts. We started with naturally soft foods like beans from my burrito, blueberries and cranberries from my pancakes, butternut squash, parsnips, ripe pear, lightly cooked apple or ripe soft apple, sweet potato, avocado, guacamole, hummus. It very quickly moved to halved or quarted fresh blueberries, cut grapes, asparagus, kiwi, peach, and just about anythingg she could grab.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We don't make purees and we don't "spoon feed". If a food is naturally soft I load up a regular spoon and hand it off and let her have at it, or if we are out or I don't want a huge mess I help her to guide it. She mostly self feeds (at 8 months her pincer grip really started to take off) If I need to give her pieces of food for neatness sake i hold it in my fingers and let her grab it so that she judges if she wants it or not. She's almost 10 months now and has rejected nothing, not even asparagus or broccoli. She only spits something out if it is too big, too hard to chew, or if its not cooked to her liking (broccoli) or spice with something she doesn't care for (but that is rare). The only thing I bought for eating is a travel wipe off reusiable sucktion cup placemat with a food catcher tray attached, and a small straw thermos for water. Mealsharing is fun and is so easy. I love it when she begs!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It's a myth that if you start with fruits they won't take veggies. Breastmilk is quite sweet (so if formula for that matter)! It is all in how yu present it and if the baby is allowed to feed themselves with tastey table food, not bland jarred stuff.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Just because a baby will eat food doesn't mean they can digest it right or should eat food. It is recommended babies be breastfed exclusively for 6 months. If a baby is formula fed then the baby can start solids at 4 mo. No organization recommends starting meat or applesauce first.

You can start fork mashed banana, sweet potato, or avacado and let baby feed itself. Breastmilk or formula needs to remain the main source of nutrients the first year for brain growth. All food should be nutritious. Eating in the first year is not for practice or fun or any such nonsense. That myth was started by a baby food company.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We started of course with rice cereal, then oatmeal. We were then told to start with veggies and then fruits. Always start with the darker of veggies and then work towards the lighter, sweeter of veggies. Only introduce them every few days to check for food allergies.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 4:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• With all 3 of my kids we started at 6 months. Just because you can feed your baby solids does not mean you should. The Dr is saying wait until 6 months, why are you in a hurry to start sooner? If you look at all of the research there are lots of possible benefits to waiting, and only possible risks (no benefits) to stating before 6 months, so why not just wait? It will NOT keep baby "full" longer, it will not make baby sleep longer.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My pedi told me to start at 4 months. I gave cereal for a week, then every vegetable in stage one one veggie at a time 3 days per veggie to watch for allergies before i went to the next veggie, then i did the same with meats, and then fruits :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2010