What does is mean when someone refers to you/calls you a...

This is an honest question that I really want to know. I'm book smart, but I'm not street smart, as some call it. I don't really know slang although I have a very diverse group of friends. I am not racist, nor do I condone name calling. I have a friend that calls me his "nigga". I know what the actual word is, and he tells me the actual word (with 'er') and "nigga" are not the same thing. I asked him why he sometimes refers to me as this, and he laughs and says it's because we're close and that's what black people say. I'm not black, and I guess I just don't get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I've never quite understood that either...
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 2:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It means you're a very good and very close friend of his. He looks at you as family. :) I'm not black either, but I have a ton of black friends. I ama lso a "gringa" to my hispanic friends, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i would ask him not to call you this. he mmay think its fun or cute but when someone hears it that doesnt know its jsut his thing, someone is going to get extremly offended and theres a good chance for violence when people sound racist. even if he doesnt mean to sound racist its very innapropriate. i would not tolerate it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Interesting question...I have a guy friend, that calls me this. I kind of like him...so if he texts me and says "what's up nigga"....what does that mean...

careph

Answer by careph at 2:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't like it, myself, and would ask him to stop.

Answer by Bmat at 2:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My ex called my son his "nigga" I don't like it. Maybe it's because he and i aren't close anymore so I don't think he should call my son his anything!
    yezay

Answer by yezay at 3:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I am black and either way it is not good to say. The way these people today use it supposedly with the "nigga", it is supposed to take the sting out of the word and friendly it up. It is still an ugly word and I call people on it when I hear it. Especially if they are not black....it is more offensive.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• In fairness, there are "slang" and offensive words used by close friends all the time. I have a good friend who will call me and say, "What up BIA?" (BIA=bitch) We're two educated professional women. It's an inside joke related to a very specific incident and it cracks us up. We don't do it in public and we certainly wouldn't say it if the other person was offended.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 3:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• its the same thing as when someone say these r my peepz.....its not mean its something u dont call just anyone unless they r ur niggas...means they got ur back through and situation good or bad
    samie_01

Answer by samie_01 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• sounds like it's his way of telling you what a good friend you are - whether or not you or anyone else finds the term offensive - he doesn't... it's a term of endearment, friendship, and respect from some people. if you are uncomfortable with the term, maybe you can suggest something else - a special nickname just for you
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010