Can anyone give me breastfeeding tips?? I dont know what I am doing...

My son is 2 weeks old and cries alot and acts hungry unless he is sleeping? How long should I let him nurse on each side? I have 3 other kids and I gave up really early ( about 2 to 3 weeks) with them and I DO NOT want to give up this time! I want to try to do this for at least 3 months. But he just doesnt seem like he is getting enough milk. How do I build my milk supply up? Any advice would be helpful! I dont want to quit this time!! Thank you!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1. He's normal.
    2. Let him nurse as LONG as he wants. You and the clock have NOTHING to do with each other for a while. NO timing. Let him come off side one when he's ready. burp and offer side two.

Put him to breast, LEAVE HIM THERE. You're doing FINE. Count dipes. 6-8 changes a day.

Come by the breastfeeding moms group for more help...but just put him to breast. You need do nothing more. Well, except change the dipes!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes, look at output NOT input. Newborns are seemingly perma-tached to the breast for at least the first 3 months because they tend to cluster feed. All they do is EAT and SLEEP. That's it. This is because they are growing so rapidly and breast milk is made on a supply and demand method...he's demanding so you will supply. A pretty major growth spurt is going to occur about now then another one at 6 weeks, then 9 weeks, then 3 months and then it gets a little less hectic before the next major spurt at 6 months but during tha ttime there will be milestones and possibly teething :)

Visit www.llli.org for a local group in your area. Visit www.kellymom.com and also www.drjacknewman.com and definitely join the breastfeeding moms group as suggested.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• First, crying is a late sign of hunger. Nurse that baby every time he even hints that he might want the breast. Even if he just nursed 5 minutes ago! Let him nurse however long he wants on each side. When he finishes one side, offer the other side.
    Hang in there!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• One more thing to remember, as your baby gets older he will become more efficient at nursing, so while the whole process might be time consuming now, in a couple of short months your baby will learn how to eat more quickly and you won't be as tied down to feeding all the time.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Nursing longer will help him build up your milk supply. I'd let him nurse as long as he wants to, and gradually the supply will increase.

Answer by Bmat at 2:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• the above advice is great. you can also contact your local la leche league, or wic, or the hospital and ask to make an apointment with a lactation consultant. meeting with the lactation consultant is the ONLY reason i was able to breastfeed my youngest.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• If your baby cries alot... then it may be colic. As for breastfeeding though, you'll produce as much as your baby needs. The more he/she nurses the more milk will be produced. And make sure he's latching on correctly too. There are LOTS of resorces for breastfeeding mothers that you should look into. There may evan be a breastfeeding support center in your area.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 2:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• If you are tempted to give a bottle have someone go out and get scales instead. As long as your baby gains 4 oz a week then you know your baby is getting enough. If you have two breasts you have every reason to believe you can breastfeed. Those women in tent cities in Haiti are doing it. They aren't taking donations of formula or human milk.

Some babies are fussy. If a baby is breastfed its common for everyone to blame it on breastfeeding. If the baby is formula fed its common for everyone to blame it on the baby or that the baby needs to switch formula. As long as your baby is having stools there is no reason to think the baby isn't getting enough milk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Count diapers - if he's having between 6-8 wet diapers/day they he's getting enough. Let him nurse as long as he will on each side, but encourage him to nurse for at least 15-20 minutes/side so he's getting both the foremilk and the rich hindmilk (which is what fills them up). Make sure he "empties" at least one breast at each feeding to make sure he's getting that hindmilk.

Answer by missanc at 4:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I know it starts to make you feel like a human pacifier but at this age just keep putting baby to the breast as often as he will latch on. It will help boost your milk production and comfort baby so it's a win/win. If your nipples get chapped or sore get some Lanolin cream to apply which is soothing and safe, and before long your nipples will be used to it all and the pain will end. I used to nurse my newborn for what seemed like at least 45 minutes or more by the time she nursed both sides and burped in between, and then she would be fussy again so soon I thought she wouldn't be ready to nurse again but she was. Once I just started latching her on when she woke and fussed, and stopped trying to time things out, it was much easier and she was a happier baby. Also, learning to nurse laying on my side helped me immensely so I could doze while she nursed, esp at night. Not great if you are a deep sleeper but great otherwise. GL
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2010