What's the difference?

Ok, I see a lot of people saying that baptism is about the person accepting Christ as their Lord. And that is must be taken seriously. That it is a commitment one makes to their religion. I was taught that that is what confirmation was for. This is why adolescents have to go through confirmation at my church. So what is the difference, to you, between baptism and confirmation?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 2:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think that is the difference in religions. As a Catholic, they view Baptism as the removal of the original sin. According to them, you must be baptized in order to get into Heaven. As a Baptist, they view Baptism as the acceptance. That's my understanding as being members of both types of churches at one point in my life or another.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It depends on the religion. Catholic baptism is for babies and Catholic confirmation is when the person, himself, confirms he wants to be a member of that religion and accept the teachings of the church. That is why it is done when they are older.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• HOw can baptism be that important of a decision, when a lot of denominations do it when you are a baby? A baby has no clue it's being indoctrinated into that belief system.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Baptism is welcoming the person into the Christian community. Confirmation would be when the person agrees that this is what they want and that they accept Christ. But different churches believe differently. These are just my feelings.

Answer by Bmat at 2:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I thought baptism also had something to do with "washing away sin". So that when you're baptized your sins prior to your baptism are washed away and you get a fresh start.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• the churches I went to didn't do confirmation...just baptisms
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I honestly never understood the point of Confirmation. Biblically Jesus went through Baptism as an adult, it was his promise to God. If he had no sin there was nothing to wash away, so there would have been no point to it if that were the reason for it. Which always said to me that Baptism was about making an Oath to God to follow him with your life. That was what we were always taught, so there was no need for Confirmation because Baptism wasn't done as a child but as an Adult, the way Jesus did it. That said, I did not share those beliefs and was never baptized because I would not make an oath to follow a God I have no faith in. And there is no Baptism in Paganism, just "dedication" which is similar, but not meant to be an "oath" or anything.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Some Christian religions don't have confirmation. They do Baptism later and there is no Sacrament of Confirmation
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Most Christian religions believe baptism is a washing or cleansing of ones sins. A new start. I find this concept to be silly, when one accepts Christ they do it on a personal relationship level for which a baptism is not necessary. The acceptance of Christ is in the heart not a ceremony. One can be baptist-ed and not truly accept Christ. The acceptance of Christ is what washes you of sin not a baptism. Because Christ takes your sin upon himself. Though I do find this concept a little silly as well.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I believe I can safely say baptists, in general, view baptism as an outward, public profession of faith, a showing to others that you have repented of sin and have accepted Christ as Lord/Saviour, and are committing your life to the service of God..in so many words. That being said, I would never tell a child he doesn't understand if he fully expresses desire to baptism. I don't think there is any age where it (sin, grace, mercy,etc) is ever FULLY understood. We baptize because Christ was baptized - the 'want' to be Christ-like compels us to this very basic act. It also symbolizes burying the old-self, and rising as a new creation. Your confirmation is pretty much evident in your daily life, IMO.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010