Another breast feeding question...

I was told if I pump more than I nurse my milk will dry up... Is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no. your pump is not as effective as the baby nursing but it shouldnt make you dry up. i pumped between feeding when my milk first came in, jsut to relieve the pressure, but it made it so i produced a little more than baby needed and i just pumped once a day and put it in the freezer so i had a store of it if i ever had to get a sitter.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It can be. Pumps are NOT as effective as the baby is at extracting milk. And if milk is not extracted more doesn't get made.

Pumping is a form of legal slavery anyway; avoid it if you can! Nurse more than you pump to ensure supply, pump enough for an emergency stash or for going back to work. When you're with baby, you nurse.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No, I went back to work when DD was 6 weeks old, and I pumped all day long, and mine didn't.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 2:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• the pump doesnt empty the breast all the way. so nursing is best! but my daughter and i have trouble nursing so i pump 24/7 for 5 months now and im good to go! but it has been are to keep my supply up! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• whoever said that might be referring to the fact that your body can kind of tell the difference between the baby nursing and a pump but I've known lots of women who successfully pump primarily (b/c they have to go back to work for example) for as much as 6 months. You might have to supplement after that (with either cereals and fruits and veggies or formula, whatever you decide). But remember, every woman is different!
    Don't take an all or nothing approach with breastfeeding because any amount of time your baby gets breast milk is better than no breast milk at all :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• "Drying up" is not really an accurate term. Your breasts aren't containers of milk. The glands that make milk are modified sweat glands. When breasts are stimulated it sends a hormone message to the brain and the brain sends a message to the gland to make milk. The baby suckling stimulates the hormone better than a pump and that's why you make more milk with a baby nursing. If there isn't enough suckling your breasts "give up". You can start breastfeeding again. Put the baby to the breast and they will start making milk again.

Rental pumps work the best, better than even the most expensive pumps you can buy. If you give more info people can give you info about your specific situation; baby in NICU, working mom, exclusively pumping, ect.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2010