Quinoa Recipes?

We really like quinoa, but mostly I just use it as a filler for meatballs & similar recipes, but I would really like some recipes that feature quinoa as the main attraction. The recipes must be dairy, gluten, soy, lentil, egg, sesame, bell pepper & onion-free, too. I know, I know, I'm not asking for much....lol

mom2aspclboy

Asked by mom2aspclboy at 3:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Quinoa porrige
    Ingredients

* 1/2 cup quinoa
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1 1/2 cups almond milk
    * 1/2 cup water
    * 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
    * 1 pinch salt

Directions

1. Heat a saucepan over medium heat and measure in the quinoa. Season with cinnamon and cook until toasted, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Pour in the almond milk, water and vanilla and stir in the brown sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, then cook over low heat until the porridge is thick and grains are tender, about 25 minutes. Add more water if needed if the liquid has dried up before it finishes cooking. Stir occasionally, especially at the end, to prevent burning.

Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I love quinoa - so happy to see this post!
    A great way to showcase the quinoa iswith a hearty pilaf style dish.
    I usually rinse and soak the quinoa for a little bit, drain, then toast slightly in a pan (to give it a nuttier taste).
    While you're toasting it, prepare the water, salted of course. Once ot comes to a boil, sprinkle it in and cook for 15 min. (this method helps with keeping the fluffy quinoa texture)
    From there the possibilities are endless - for an italian version add julienned sundried tomatoes, olives or capers, cooked & diced broccoli raab or cauliflower, ... and anything else you have in hand. Prepare a vinagrette w/ balsamic & olive oil and toss together. For a persian version I would add in toasted almonds, sliced apricots, spinach and chickpeas - the persian vinagrette would include lemon juice, olive oil, and a dash of cinnamon, cumin, & coriander (ground)
    tavczakbabe

Answer by tavczakbabe at 11:31 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Mmmm, that sounds yummy! Is it made with quinoa flakes or pearls? Does it matter?
    mom2aspclboy

Comment by mom2aspclboy (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have never heard of quinoa flakes! So I'm going to say pearls! I just make sure to rinse them before cooking so they aren't bitter!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 6:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Though it probably doesn't matter! LOL
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 6:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2010