due date was yesterday and doc scheduled induction

I'm starting to get really anxious because yesterday was my due date (14th) and the doctor scheduled my induction for tuesday night. I really don't want to be induced and really just want the baby to come on his own. I'm so nervous and I feel like this baby will never come. I have 6 days before the induction and I am 1cm dilated, 80% effaced and only having very irregular and painless contractions. Do I have good chances of going into labor on my own before tuesday??

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 3:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• can you cancel the induction? if you don't want it, it's your body.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• WALK!
    Sex can help too, semen softens the cervix & orgasm can help with starting contractions.

With my first I went to the doc on Thursday morning and was only 2cm, 80% and was told by my dr that I "probably wouldn't have the baby that weekend" and just to go home. He was born that Friday at 2:43am So there is always a chance!

GOOD LUCK
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I guess that's why he scheduled the induction for Tuesday to give you a chance. But I don't really know.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You DON'T have to be induced! If there's no medical reason proven (like, you're tested for complications), just trust your gut and let the baby come whenever he or she chooses!
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 3:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• walk, walk, and walk! I went in for a stress test because my son wasn't moving as much as he usually did.... They checked me ( I was 2 cm 80% effaced) That night I went into labor.... I was walking my ass off lol so just keep walking momma, it will be soon!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• There is definitely a chance! I can only tell you what I did....for one, I drank raspberry tea to help prepare for labor. Some women drink it through pregnancy (NOT during 1st trimester though for anyone early in that may read this). It does not to induce you, but is supposed to help strengthen your pelvic and uterine muscles. I also walked and ate a TON of pineapple. Of course, sex helps..and what I heard is that it is best if you both orgasm together. :) lol Seriously though I did those things and was up 3 hours after the last one going to the hospital...barely made it there actually.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Just because the dr. schedules it doesn't mean you have to show up. 40 weeks is the average time women go into labor not an expiration date. As long as your getting good kick counts and feeling good I see no reason to induce. Stressing about being "overdue" could actually be stalling labor. So try to relax. Walking is great if you feel up to it but don't over do it either and make sure you stay hydrated. Baby will be here soon and you'll have brand new worries so try and make these last few days as stress free as possible.

Just an fyi to a pp, you can drink rrl throughout all pregnancy. I wouldn't drink a ton of it during the 1st trimester but a glass a day is perfectly fine if you are not labeled high risk. It is a uterine tonic and it is also full of good minerals that help keep you and baby healthy.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It's entirely possible you might go into labor on your own. I had a scheduled c-section for last Friday, but Friday morning I woke up at 4 with contractions. My water ended up breaking on the operating room table where they were doing the C - with or without it the csection, I was having that baby Friday!
    That being said, my 3rd was induced and it wasn't that bad of an experience. I actually liked it and preferred the induction over going naturally and would have chosen it again had my dr not recommended a csection for my 4th and 5th.

Answer by missanc at 4:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• of course you have a good chance of going into labor before then but if it were me i would cancel the scheduled induction, or maybe just reschedule it for a week later. it's really normal to be pregnant for 42 weeks.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010