friends and head lice

I have a friend who is pregnant and needed a ride to go register for her baby shower. I went to pick her up and noticed the way the sun was hitting the side of her hair that there were about 10 lice eggs in the hair behind her ear. I wasn't sure at first and told her to hold still that there was something in her hair. Well she freaked and turned her head away from me so I couldn't see and quickly made up an excuse that she couldn't go do the registry. As she giving me her excuse I got a closer look and realized what it was. Now she has called me and asked me to take her again. I'm not having her in my car knowing what she has...How should I go about telling her? She I tell her I know or play dumb and just make excuses? I got head lice when I was little and I know how much of a pain in the ass it can be to get rid of and Im not risking it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honesty is the best policy...I would tell her about u kowing that she has head lice dont make her feel like its gross or anything an offer 2 help her get rid of them....an let her know u reall dont want it so u will give her a ride once it is takin care of:)
    Halogurl29

Answer by Halogurl29 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My not help her shes your friend right? tell her she needs to get some lice stuff, thats she shouldnt be embarassed. I in cosmetology school and head lice is pretty common.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 3:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I thought about saying that and offer to help her get rid of them. She is just so emotional. I dont want to upset her anymore than she already is. Plus there are a lot of people living in that house and if she has them that bad then im pretty sure the rest of them do also. Even if she gets the treatment then there is still a chance of her getting it again right away.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 3:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would tell her honestly that you saw some head lice in her hair and you dont want you or your kids to get it... Tell her to do treatments on it and you will be happy to take her.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think she knew and was embarrassed when you saw. I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to take her... I wouldn't either, lol. I agree with the second poster on what to say to her.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think I would let her know that you recognized the condition and it's nothing to be ashamed of. The shame would be to let it go untreated.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• thanks for all your post. I told her that i saw the eggs in her hair and she didn't sound surprised that she had it but she was really embarrassed. I offered to buy and do the treatment for her but she said she got her dad to do it and he did find them in her hair.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 10:49 AM on Jul. 23, 2010