How long should i be out of school after birth?

im going to be a junior in the fall...and i know most adults wait 6 weeks before returning to work..
i just need some feedback, i was thinking about 4 weeks
but will it be doctors excused, should i return right away or wait til the babys in daycare, which will be when he's 6 weeks.
help me please:(

alexsmommy1234

Asked by alexsmommy1234 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in

• Honestly, I started classes the next day. But I did online classes. Since it looks like you are due in November, maybe just take off until the new year and go back after Christmas vacation. Do like a homeward bound program where you can get your school work delivered to your house or you can go pick it up and turn it in as you get it done.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You'll only know for SURE after you give birth. You don't even know if an emergency c sect may come up or not.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My friend was back in class a week after her child was born as she had somebody to watch him. We were in Nursing school and there is no time off from that.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• oh, well im in high school.
    alexsmommy1234

Comment by alexsmommy1234 (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You may feel well enough to return to school after a week. It depends on how easy or difficult your delivery is. What are your state's policies on absences? In my state, if you are absent for more than the allowed days, no matter the reason, I believe they can make you repeat the grade.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I went to a school for teen moms and they allowed 2 weeks for regular birth and 3 weeks for c-sections...I was back in class when my daughter was 3 weeks old. Now days they have internet classes and you could just go with that if you really wanted to..have you checked into schools for teen moms? very good program to get into..
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You may not want to return to regular school at all. Having a baby changes everything. If you are old enough you may want to take the GED. You may want to take a year off and then take evening classes or GED classes. There may be classes at a charter school or community colleges. You may be able to home school or do an online program.

Breastfeeding takes 6 - 8 weeks to get established. It is extra important for teen moms to breastfeed their babies. Besides all the reasons every baby should breastfeed, teen moms need that relationship. Everyone may be trying to take over their baby and it gives them a special relationship no one can take.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You really don't know until the baby is born. I was going to take 1 semester off (of college) when I had my first, but ended up taking off a whole year.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:52 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• yeah see...i want to stay in school. id just like to take off for 3-4 weeks because i dont want to miss to much, but once hes born is it going to be different? idk.
    alexsmommy1234

Comment by alexsmommy1234 (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• that sounds really good..i might do that.
    alexsmommy1234

Comment by alexsmommy1234 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

Next question in
FAFSA

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
Anyone else have this problem?