do you use or like the swim float arm things?

surfcitymom

Asked by surfcitymom at 3:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They give a false sense of security to both kids and parents. They teach kids that you can jump in the water and "swim" around with your head out of the water, which is not reality! Then they forget they don't have them on, or they fall off, or deflate and they end up in trouble.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I don't like them because they can give a false sense of security ... we live right on the banks of a large river (even have our own boat dock, although no boat anymore) so it was really important to me that Julita learn to swim properly.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No, and my kids hated them. The only thing that worked for them was the ring float.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I got them for my ds and have never used them... Not sure if I will
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No we don't like them or use them. We went to Bass Pro, local outfitting store and bought these cool Coast Gaurd certified floats. They have arm floaty things with a middle section across the tummy. Snaps by a strap in back on a piece of nylon or some kind of material. Not inflatable made out of material that feels like it covers some kind of folded paper. They are the best 20 bucks I ever spent. My 3 and 4 yr old love them and ever since they have them, the are fish! Love the water!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• They don't work to good. I use the speedo swimsuit that has the inserts. WORKS GREAT!
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 3:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No. If they need help floating it's better to use a pfd (life vest).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I used them to teach my older 3 kids to swim. I didn't allow them to go into the pool with them if I wasn't physically in the pool with them, but they would put them on and "swim" to me. Each time we went I put less and less air in them until they were swimming while holding up their own weight.

Answer by missanc at 4:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I like them but think you have to use good ones, from speedo or a reputable brand. I dont think the dollar store ones work as well
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 4:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No...I don't like or use them. My daughter has a life jacket and this really cool float with a sunshade...it's adorable.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2010