I need help with a resume

I would really like to begin working again & I've been looking for a clerical position. My problem is, I have no experience working in an office environment. I can type 75 wpm, know how to use Word/Excel/the Internet, I'm able to answers phones in a respectful manner, and I am very organized. I've been out of work for the past two years, due to starting college, then getting pregnant & having my daughter. I have been at home with her for almost 8 months now. I'm in the process of obtaining my degree in Human Services, but not yet done.... I feel stuck - how do I eloquently create a resume when I feel so unqualified?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 3:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• A lot of times the best way to find a job is through networking. Make sure that you put it out there to friends and family and really anyone you meet that you are currently seeking a job.

A good resume will be short and concise. One page usually gets the job done. It starts with a heading sort of like a title. Yours could be something like:

Dynamic detail oriented self starter looking to broaden work experience in an office enviornment.

Skills:
    Proficient in Microsoft Office
    Computer literate and internet savy
    Excellent phone skills
    Time management

Then list the jobs that you have had in the past and the responsibilities that you had. Make the responsibilities sound universal. Like if you waitressed focus on the customer service aspect.

A lot of times people to realize how valuable their past experience is even if it's not directly related to the position they're applying for.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Sounds like you have tons going for you! When I was doing my resume I looked up examples on the web.. Google it and you can see some. Don't pay to see any !! There are plenty of sites that will show examples. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Do you think that my personal experience is enough to put on a resume? Even if I don't have job experience to back it up? I also don't have any references...I think that is my biggest problem.
    Wheepingchree

Comment by Wheepingchree (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I saw some great examples of how to do a resume if you where highlighting your skills and not job experience. Some of the websites I went to addressed the different kinds of resumes there are. It all depends on what you are highlighting. Think hard about your contacts. Go through an address book if you have to. there must be some one who can attest to your skills, your efficiency, punctuality, etc, etc. I just looked at your posting again. Would any of your teachers be able to be references for you? It is tough when you don't have job experience, and someone might be taking a chance on you. You might even say in an interview that they won't be disappointed if they take a chance on you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You don't sound under qualified to me.  Try this website:  http://www.resumetemplates.org/templates/

HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You could try a temp agency - when you sign up with them, most will help you in creating a professional looking resume to help get you a job. Many companies do a lot of their hiring through temp agencies only. If once you start temping for them, they like you and you are competent, they will offer you a permanent position.

Answer by missanc at 8:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010