Is it right for a credit union to do this?

I gave my daughter a check to put in her account
we share the same credit union
I assumed they had taken the money out of my account right away and my husband took money out of the ATM, thinking we still had plenty of money.
somehow 3 days later the check bounced...and they put the check through my account twice charging me twice for bounced check fees.
If they would have done it right away it would not have bounced. After all both checks were from the same credit union.
Do I have the right to call them and bitch to them about how they should have put the check through right away not sit on it for 3 days, have it go through twice, bounce and charge me for it.
I think they were being lazy, there's no reason for the transaction to take 3 days when it's all in the same tiny building

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• They cannot charge twice for the same check but they can take their sweet time doing whatever it is they do (unless they have a policy stating it will clear within 24 hours or as my bank does if you make it after 6pm it will not clear until the next business day)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 3:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I used to work at a credit union. If it was drawn on the bank your daughter was depositing at, they should have cleared it through your accnt immediatly.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I am not sure. But here is a bump!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• But I would still call....
    Just be professional about it. You usually get your way when your polite...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 3:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would definitely call and ask about it. Most of the time they will make it right.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 4:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Most banks don't clear checks immediately, unless they're pay checks. If you do call, it shouldn't be to complain about the time it took to clear the check but that they charged you twice, which was their error, and you want the error corrected. Make sure to talk to a manager.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would call and see what's going on and if I didn't get satisfaction I would go there.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would call them nicely to ask them to reverse the fee. However, it is your responsibility to know the amount of funds available in your account. It is possible for a bank or credit union to run a check through more than once if the funds were not available the first time.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2010