Does your house have well water for the outside...if so, has it ever run dry?

We moved here at the end of last summer. ANy other house I've ever had had city water inside and out so I've never encountered something like this!
Its been so HOT and HUMID here, with very little rain..I think we've had one short teaser of a shower a few days ago early in the morning. This has been going on for like 3 weeks now.
Anyway..the kids have thier little swim pool that I've only filled up twice...I keep it clean and keep a tarp over it so we don't have to change it often and today they were playing with a slip and slide for about an hour and then all of a sudden, there was no water out there! Then it dawned on me..the well must have ran dry!
Has this ever happened to you? What do we do now? Just wait for the rain I guess...WOW..who knows when we'll be getting some good rain here!
Is this considered a drought? Thank goodness we have city water inside the house.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We had well water inside and out and it never went dry...but folks around us did on occasion have to have new wells dug....extremely expensive!...but what ya gonna do? Ya have to have water! I would look into whether it is the pump or the well itself. In the meantime, if you have a very long hose, you can hook it to where the cold water comes into your washer and use the water from inside the house, garden hoses are the same size as washer hook up hoses. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:58 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• We have well water, but have never had an issue with it running dry. When I was growing up, we had a neighbor's well go dry and they ended up coming to our house for showers, washing clothes, etc. for several days.

Answer by missanc at 3:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I lived in an old farm house and the well was low, and the water would stir up dirt every time we used to much of it, then for days we would have dirty water. the home owner had to hire a drilling crew to drill a new well
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Could the pump have stopped working instead?
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We have well water and it's never run dry.
    Your point might be plugged, the tank may have lost pressure, the pump may have quit working. If your well goes dry I don't think it's going to suddenly go dry; you'd have some warning.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010