I don't know where to start. My son is behind socially, I think. His teacher has suggested that he may be hyperactive or have an attention deficit. He will not keep his hands to himself. He will not do what we ask him without being reminded a million times unless we yell. I'm at my wits end!!! He's going to the Dr. tomorrow, but I find myself angry and in tears most days. What do I do?

I don't know what other details to add...

LaraMayLMT

Asked by LaraMayLMT at 7:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What kind of diet does he have?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I have a son who is now 10 1/2 and his kindergarten teacher told me that he will flunk in school because he can't sit still, won't stop blurting out and he is a Honor Roll Student and has been since 1st grade. Sometimes kids are fidgety because they are bored in class like my son he already knew the material and said he wanted to learn something new.. But if he is diagnosed w/ adhd or add there are several options out besides meds.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I suggest that after you have gone to the doctor and if he is diagnosed Add or Adhd then research research research...... I used to get just as angry and frustrated with my ds until I did a lot of research as to why he acts that way and what I can do to help him focus. You will be suprised at how different you will look at the situation once you understand the why behind it. For example my son doesnt do well with sitting still for to long especially while doing school work or homework. I found out that if I let him stand or tap his pencil on the table Chew gum or have a snack then he will focus better because instead of having to move around and not do his work he is getting his energy out in a better way. I hope that makes since. RESEARCH I promise it will help you deal better GOOD LUCK
    SusanReeves

Answer by SusanReeves at 9:15 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I know exactly how you feel....I have a 7 year old who has ADD/ADHD and when she was in kindergarten I spoke to her teacher on a DAILY basis.I cried so myself to sleep so many nights wondering if I had done something wrong with her until I finally took her to the doctor and she ws immediately diagnosed with it.Later I found out that I have adult ADD and probably had it as a child also.
    army21wife

Answer by army21wife at 11:37 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• It is frustrating... My son can not understand personal space, he can not sit still for any length of time, he can not stay quiet. He was diagnosed with Mild Autistic Disorder with Hyperactivity. He is way behind socially, most in social communication. He never liked to play with his siblings or friends. Some days he totally got what was said to him, other days he acted like he never heard of what you are saying, before.. It is really frustrating, and I find myself crying many times.. But the biggest thing, is knowing how to help. Everyone wanted him on meds, but his teacher, who has a history of working with special need kids, said that him having his favorite stuffed animal at school with him has helped him stay focused. Honestly, listen to what the doctor says, then research every which way you can. My son got lucky and found another Autistic boy as a friend, they complete each other so much is is scary.
    Mi_Chelly

Answer by Mi_Chelly at 3:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I know exactly how you feel, I too have been in tears over my childs behavior, and also because I'm so darn frustrated, so i did some research on this and I am going to give you the web site. childdevelopmentinfo.com this is a great way to get information about this kind of dissorder and also different types of behaviors, so please check it out . Has helped me so much.
    christina200107

Answer by christina200107 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You have to be even more patient then with a "normal" kid. It just means they are too smart for their own good. Talk with the teacher about a few more worksheets so when he is done he can keep busy. At home make sure he is expending all of his energy, not watching TV or playing games.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 1:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2008